3DCoat Forums

Clothing (Thin Volumes)

ScrotieFlapWack

Go to solution Solved by AbnRanger,

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I am trying out a few new tools after checking out a sweet tutorial on Udemy for hard surface sculpting, I found out about a few tools that I never even knew about!

Right now I am messing around with creating clothing and I am using the 'Vox Layer' tool to make things like sweaters and trousers (generic items of clothing) but I am running into some problems which are by the sounds of it pretty common when working with voxels. 

I apply my new Vox Layer and its relatively thin, I start sculpting creases and moving around the volume to get my forms but when I start getting into the detailing (I usually sculpt in Surface mode for this) I am completely destroying my volume. I know I can make the volume thicker before applying my Vox Layer but I don't really want massively thick trousers and sweaters, is there any other way to non destructively sculpt on thin volumes?

If there isn't which I don't expect there is, then I guess the only answer is to make my Vox Layer relatively thick.

Just a thought, can you freeze the inner shell of a new Vox Layer and sculpt on the outer surface of it, with the inside of the volume frozen could that potentially stop the issue of sculpting through the whole volume if it is really thin?

Just want to add, Split and Vox Layer with the different selection modes are my favorite tools right now, you can make some sick stuff, if anyone is interested in the Udemy course I mentioned above here is the link https://www.udemy.com/3d-coat-robots

3D - Coat totally kills Zbrush for complex hard surface and organic modelling!

GO 3D - COAT!!!! XD

Edited by ScrotieFlapWack
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

With thin objects, you either need to leave the sculpting part to Surface mode, or increase the resolution in voxel mode, quite a bit, and RMB click the layer > EXTRUDE. You can make it a little thicker than normal as you are sculpting and when you are done, Extrude in a negative value. Remember, if it's clothing that you intend to animate in a 3D app or game engine, it is likely just going to be a single-sided mesh using a cloth modifier to triangulate the object and perform dynamic simulations to it. On top of that sim, you might add a THICKNESS or SHELL modifier, to get the requisite thickness.

So, thickness while sculpting might not matter a whole lot.

• Like 1

• Contributor

(...)

Just want to add, Split and Vox Layer with the different selection modes are my favorite tools right now, you can make some sick stuff, if anyone is interested in the Udemy course I mentioned above here is the link https://www.udemy.com/3d-coat-robots

(...)

Thanks for the tip, I just bought the Hard Surface Modeling and the Retopo and UV's courses. Pretty good so far. So, yes, thanks for the tip.

• Like 1