3DCoat Forums

Unwrapping a ZBrush Model That Has PolyPaint

Teriander

Go to solution Solved by TimmyZDesign,

Question, what is the best method to unwrap a high poly model that was Polypainted in ZBrush to export the textures for a low poly version?  

Basically I have a model that is high poly in Zbrush (low poly version also available for export), and I exported this version as obj into 3D Coat.  I am able to import it fine when choosing Vertex Paint as the high poly version.  But I do not want to paint on it, I want to have a low poly version of this unwrapped, and the polypaint transferred to the low poly version as a texture.  Basically the samething that zbrush does with UVMaster.  It unwraps the lowpoly version where you can copy and paste on the high poly version.   How can I do that in 3D Coat?  Because I hate UVMaster and unwrapping in ZBrush.  

• Contributor
  • Solution

First import the high poly with polypaint from Zbrush into the Sculpt Room using the "import for vertex painting" option.

Then go to the Retopo Room and import the low poly there. (So then you will actually have the two different versions of the model occupying the same space). You can however only edit the low poly version in the Retopo Room. Make your UVs on the low poly. There is a full set of UV tools in the Retopo Room toolbar, but they are context sensitive so some might not be available at first. Then from the Retopo Room choose to bake your vertex paint (a.k.a. polypaint) to the low poly and that's how you will send it to the Paint Room. There are various bake options in the Retopo Room's menu, but you most likely want to do a "per pixel paint" option. Then your low poly model will finally be in the Paint Room. Go to the View menu and turn off "show voxels in the paint room" to see only the low poly version with the polypaint baked onto it.

• Reputable Contributor

Look here as well as another user asked a similar but it was concerning a scanned model. You should be able to glean some information there as well.

Polypaint, 3DC's surface mode paint and vertex colors are one in the same... 

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18885

Edited by digman