3DCoat Forums

Digman's Cravings

digman

• Reputable Contributor

EDIT: May 6, 2013

Most of my work are just doodles some closer to being finished than others...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Making one post for all voxel work, doodles and mindless wonderings of my pen tablet.
Art is 10% trying to be inspired and 90% working your tail off... blink.gif

This "voxel start" right now is just a mixed of trying different ways of sculpting, which I have read here on the forum... michalis, thanks for the inspiration of your work.

He has enough beginnings of character to make it worth working on him more...
voxel/polycout appox 2 million.

post-518-12909673345167_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• Contributor

Making one post for all voxel work, doodles and mindless wonderings of my pen tablet.

Art is 10% trying to be inspired and 90% working your tail off... :blink:

This "voxel start" right now is just a mixed of trying different ways of sculpting, which I have read here on the forum... michalis, thanks for the inspiration of your work.

He has enough beginnings of character to make it worth working on him more...

voxel/polycout appox 2 million.

Lots of character in this sculpt. Liking it a lot so far. :)

Greg

• Reputable Contributor

I hope to do a displacement tutorial in html format soon as some are having problems with their displacement maps which is no fun at all. Here is a displacement map I made this evening.

Auto-retopo and then a quick manual uv map.

Obj model is 5820 polygons

Use the bake-texture feature under the retopo menu in the retopo room to bake the displacement map without going to the paint room.

Rendered in Carrara

Subdivision 4,

Amplitude 8

Now the tutorial might not solve all problems as we have 3 OS systems that 3DCoat is written for, plus different rendering software have their own way of setting up and rendering the maps. There are a few video tutorials floating around but I thought a html format one would be good to have too...

post-518-12910131029664_thumb.jpeg

• Reputable Contributor

My brain has been more in a concept mood than producing any finished work, Here is another early concept brewing on the stove. Not sure yet if he will have legs or keep the stinger.

Some rough post work for one idea of what the creature could be in the end...

post-518-12911005573341_thumb.jpeg

post-518-1291100586874_thumb.jpeg

post-518-12911006094082_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

I did some overall work on the model. I have not used a reference so I better start now before I get too far along.

Concept drawing is an 25 minute overpaint to give me a few ideas for texturing...

post-518-12913546749649_thumb.jpeg

post-518-12913547013583_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

I've been off learning some software, so today, So I said, ok enough of that and threw a render together for a fun and relaxing time...

Carrara for rendering.

Model is still a wip.

4 bones to pose the model

Hdr and 3 lights for color "low intensity" (fill,key and rim)

Some DOF

No SSS as I did'nt want to wait.............. for it to finish.

Post work in Gimp...

post-518-12929867508758_thumb.jpeg

• Reputable Contributor

Here's some new and old very rough concepts to work on and finish in the coming year. My new year's resolution this year, Start Less,Finish more... :D I hope. :rofl:

These 3 would be useful asymmetrical sculpting practice. Happy New Year everyone...

post-518-1293219196203_thumb.jpeg

• Reputable Contributor

One last concept before my New Year's resolution kicks in and I have to post more finished work... :D

I call these cudabouts (cow chewing the cud)

Cartoon character early concept

Everything done so far is under one million voxels

I could use the curve tool but I tend to be rough so the paste tool lets me slap and throw voxel material with abandonment... B)

post-518-12935971048192_thumb.jpeg

post-518-12935972090173_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Well, I'm going to start a backwards trend and finish my wip works. This old man wip will be the first.

I hope to keep my new year's resolution and finish all those darn wips I started... B)

post-518-12959070873306_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

I think I found the boss bug that has been running around inside 3DCoat all these years!!!

I love doodling and and using polypaint to come up with a character. The new brush engine is so smooth that it's just downright fun.

post-518-0-08082300-1343255408_thumb.jpe

• Reputable Contributor

This started has a Shadermap2 displacement base on an image. I brought the displacement map into MV mode and saved out a true high polygon version of the displacement map.

Imported into surface mode as a 9 million surface mode object with textures converted to vertex colors and now reworking the image, changing facial features ,body features and details to my own favour, Plus started on the wall details too...

You have to fix things as a displacement map base on an image will have the shadow areas indented and the light areas extruded... So you got some clean up and fixing to do as you work pulling, pushing and building areas up that need it...

Rendered in 3DCoat with a little lighting postwork in TB...

post-518-0-26148200-1343887749_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks, pixo...

Well, the base model was already there from the displacement map (from an image) exported out as real polygons in MV mode. so I can't take credit for the base model but did have to fix up the displacement map in a paint program to give me a good base to start on.

I am doing my own favour of sculpting details on the base model, as it had a lot of worn features... My goal is to add detail but keep the old look...

Worked on the beard as it was just a mass of worms before, Looks better but still needs work and lots more work to do over the entire model...

post-518-0-92985500-1343929009_thumb.jpe