3DCoat Forums

To compare 3DCoat sculpting with ZBrush

ozukaru

• Advanced Member

Right so you're an expert in Zbrush but you've never heard of 2.5D workflow or Pixols.

baby%2527s+first+troll.jpg

http://docs.pixologic.com/getting-started/basic-concepts/the-pixol/

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?5759-Difference-between-pixols-and-voxels

And you can see the confusion that the pixol continues to generate;

Senior MemberfollowSml.pngFollowUser Gallery Join Date Apr 2004 Location glendale, ca. Posts 311

icon0.gif

as for technically, what exactly a PIXOL is, i've never heard anyone from pixologic address that definitively.

i always just assumed it was just a pixel (x + y + color) with extra attributes (normal + material) per pixel.

but the more i play with it, the less it seems to me that the depth effects i'm see is just a normal being mapped onto every pixel... though i think it COULD be....

there DOES seem to be a genuine Z component as opposed to just a normal vector.

----------------------------------------------------------------

my best guess would be that pixols ARE voxels but with a very limited/predefined voxel space. the back end of the voxel space is the canvas and the "top" (or "front", the one end extending from canvas towards us on z) of the voxel space is of limited height.

so the x and y of voxel space is determined by your canvas resolution and if i had to guess, i'd say the z is half one of those dimensions. and of course, all of this exists in a layout where the "camera" faces into voxel space (probably orthographically) and there is no provision for rotating the camera.

actually, come to think of it, i think that's a pretty good guess dontcha think? would also account for how you can doodle something as pixols and then convert that into a 3d mesh (marching cubes and all that).

but then i would wonder about what exactly is happening when you draw a pixol stroke and then use the manipulator to ROTATE that stroke... if you rotate on the y axis something really weird happens visually and i'm not sure what would account for it... maybe the "front" of the stroke extending past the "front" of the voxel space as it comes at you?

if that's the case, it should be pretty easy to convert that very strict voxel space into something more open to give us true voxel sculpting ala 3d coat.

jin

The entire interface of Zbrush is built to accomodate this stuff and nobody can actually figure out exactly what it is. Thus for me and a lot of other people from what I can gather, Zbrush is deeply compromised from being a pure and simple sculpting and painting program.  At it's heart the sculpting, particularly in the early years of its development is/was secondary to, accessory to its 2.5D Pixol workflow.

paGY1XG.jpg

I do not like that workflow. I don't like it from a technical POV; it's a crazy vexing clickfest.  I don't like it from an aesthetic POV.; it encourages a kind of annoying horror vacui in the compositions it produces, the kind you find in the demented paintings of Richard Dadd. 

When Zbrush 5 arrives I'd like it to get rid of that stuff but I bet they won't do that. It'll just be more of the same. 

For better or worse I have a lot of my work posted here to show what I know. Let's see some of your work buddy.

PLOSTFU TROLL.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

Right... reading comprehension and following up on the topic (with specifics) isn't your strong point. Since you opted to stay vague and I assume attack me personally as a result, I'll give you some advice...Stop, because you are embarrassing yourself (and quite frankly this community, small as it is).