3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Applink Developer

I would almost like to say that let's close all the bug section from here. Only leave one bug section and it would work like a cache. Ones the bug is reported from that

section into mantis it will be deleted. Now There is just too many places to report a bug and it's not clear enough anymore.

How to use mantis and where to find it. This linear bugreporting in threads is highly inefficient and gives the biggest screamers most attention. Please open new bugreportingthread for mantis.

http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis

Just click Report Issue and fill in the details.

I would almost like to say that let's close all the bug section from here. Only leave one bug section and it would work like a cache. Ones the bug is reported from that

section into mantis it will be deleted. Now There is just too many places to report a bug and it's not clear enough anymore.

Yes I agree. Now that Andrew is fully using Mantis I don't see a reason to keep the bug reporting forums open, lest confusion becoming rampant.

If we all agree and Andrew wills it, I will lock all of the bug reporting forums and post links to mantis in all appropriate areas.

Post note: I just spoke to Andrew about doing this - He fears if we do, Mantis will become chaos. Can we all reassure and show Andrew that it would not turn to chaos? ;)

• Contributor

I can't promise that, I just closed a duplicate of a bugreport I created 5 days ago... Andrew may be right. People don't read the existing bugs... They will create duplicates everywhere.

It would be best to just report the bugs manually from a "temporary bug thread". Much like now except in ONE place.

• Applink Developer

It will not turn to chaos as long there is only specific people who can assign bugs to Andrew. Andrew should only worry "assigned" bugs. All users can assign issues as a "new" status. And it should be mantis develop team task to sort them out.

And in the end, Mantis is already working with full speed. Something like 80% from all bugs from forum is already reported into mantis I would think.

So closing bug sections from forum really dosen't give impact to mantis. It only would easy mantis develop team's work because we don't have

to search bugs all over from forum and move them into mantis.

to have mantis and forum bug section side by side, will take away from mantis and how good bug tracker system it can be.

• Advanced Member
as long there is only specific people who can assign bugs to Andrew

This means that 'these' people have to check every other bug report from users. Every complain.

Not directly democratic I could say. Something closer to political reality today. Watch out, we have an obligation. LOL

So we need the bugs reports topic as it is.

Something is wrong here, don't you see?

• Reputable Contributor

I still have no idea what status should be assigned to 3.5.13. I have not understood rendering problems and see no difference with previous builds.

Please help, I need assign some status. On my personal opinion it is stable at least in comparison to all previous builds.

edit: found spacepainter's answer in other thread.

Are you on Mac/PC? Using ATI/NVidia?

Andrew, I don't think it's ready to call stable. I sent you a host of UV issues that still exist, and I've had 3DC crash on me 3 times in the past 24hrs, all randomly...doing nothing more than just clicking on the color picker panel, and just in the past 10 minutes, when saving a file that had been open for hours. No need to rush. In my opinion, the No.1 feature for 3DC, going forward, should be stability. Right now it's tough to go through the entire work process (Voxel to Retopo to Paint to Export) without hitting a number of bugs or crashes.

If it takes a freeze on feature additions for a period of 3-6 months...so be it. Count this as my vote in favor of it. This application is in sore need of a "Scouring of the Deck," so to speak. I like new features as much as the next guy, but I like things to work as expected, even more. This is not to take away from all the pleasant aspects of the program, but they get tarnished with bugs and a host of annoyances in the UI.

For example, and I reported this before, oftentimes when switching between tools the brush radius arbitrarily will jump to a colossal size, larger than the viewport. I know I never have scaled it up that high...and how 3DC decides to change it on it's own is a mystery to me. It has caused some crashes in the past, or bogged the viewport down. Half the time, when Autosave finishes saving, it will on its own, throw the model completely out of the viewport. I can be working on a tight area, and it's as if 3DC takes my model and throws it across the room.

Another example is constantly having to click "To Center Mass" every time I select a layer or object. Why is this not done by default? When you drag a Voxel layer to the Model's pallet, it's cool that it will save it as a model and all, but the thumbnail it creates is way off screen and unrecognizable. All these annoyances add up. They boil down to an application that oftentimes fights with the artist, instead of working for them.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, I don't think it's ready to call stable. I sent you a host of UV issues that still exist, and I've had 3DC crash on me 3 times in the past 24hrs, all randomly...doing nothing more than just clicking on the color picker panel, and just in the past 10 minutes, when saving a file that had been open for hours. No need to rush. In my opinion, the No.1 feature for 3DC, going forward, should be stability. Right now it's tough to go through the entire work process (Voxel to Retopo to Paint to Export) without hitting a number of bugs or crashes.

If it takes a freeze on feature additions for a period of 3-6 months...so be it. Count this as my vote in favor of it. This application is in sore need of a "Scouring of the Deck," so to speak. I like new features as much as the next guy, but I like things to work as expected, even more.

I totally agree, stop adding features and make it rock solidly stable, when everyone agrees that it is rock solidly stable then start adding new features one by one and make each one stable before moving to the next.

T.

• Advanced Member

Yes, I also have a different opinion now, this build is crashing when trying to sculpt in voxels too (<1M) , curves tool performs under 6 fps after a while. Crash reports posted already.

Update: Once again I had to clean Options.xml in user's directory.

Everytime this, but it doesn't keep any useful information for me. So why is there anyway? Only problems from this.

• Advanced Member

How can I have displacements map from PPP using latest build? The first time I tested it I got some great disp maps. Now I have a grey square only. what I'm doing wrong? Yes, I painted some bumps, voxel adopted displacements don't seem to work anyway. MV mode is OK as always was.

• Advanced Member

OK phil, I know this, but first time I tested the new build I had some nice displacements from depth painting in PPP. Now nothing. Andrew claims that he made this possible. I'm confused. Its a new trick anyway.

Hello.

I do not use MV mode to generate displacement map because that mode has several problems.

I tested a displacement map created in PPP and rendered it in mentalray.

Mentalray has given me a perfect result.

If I turn on show displaced mesh and adjust subpatch level, I can sculpt comfortably in PPP.

And painting is better in PPP as well.

I am using 3.5.13A win cuda and it works for me to get displacement map.

Thank you.

• Advanced Member

I totally agree, stop adding features and make it rock solidly stable, when everyone agrees that it is rock solidly stable then start adding new features one by one and make each one stable before moving to the next.

T.

So do I.

The problem with 3DC coat is there is always something not working or broken - always little something but most of the time its enough to break workflow and wait for bugfix.Zbrush crushes from time to time but besides that

I trust Zbrush majority of things work there without any surprises, Zbrush is predictable.

+ make it stable and rock solid with as little bugs as possible

+[ speed improvements

new features which should be added :

+ give us good AO baking !!!!

+ improve painting quality in projection painting

that's it - no need for 100000000000000 little new features in every build most people will not even notice.

@ taurus: i think andrew has better idea; he will mark releases as stable or not so stable in the future, so everyone can choose to have a more or less stable release to work with or the newest "experimental" release with the newest features. that 10000000000000000 trillions new little features are very cool and most of them i don´t want to miss! andrew is an innovative guy and 3dc would not be such a genius software if he did it in a different way...

we have here some very experienced 3dc users. it would be cool, if they tell the last quite stable release nr. and where to download, so guys like taurus, who look for stability can work in peace and fearless :drinks:

• Advanced Member

Well, PPP may not export adopted details of voxel mesh as displacement. But! creating a new layer and painting depth on it can be exported as a displacement map. The last 3dc build has some great improvement on painting depth. I kept it, though there're some issues here and there, just because of this. :good:

You can generate a displacement map from PPP. Go to Textures>Export>Displacement (Or some such option, I don't have 3DC in front of me at the moment so I cannot verify the exact steps, but it can be done.).

3DC paints it as depth and can save it out as a normal or displacement map.