3DCoat Forums

2 ideas.

DavidF

Hi! I wanted to share two ideas that may be is to implement (i hope) and that are very very useful.

1. Move tool that does a surface falloff instead of an area falloff.

Basically, like a soft selection in modeling packages that go from the picked vertex (center of the brush radius in this case) gradually to the rest of the connected geometry and not to any vertex in its world radius. This is veeeeeeeeeeery useful in situations that, for example, you have to move the lower lip without touching the upper lip that is very close, but not connected. This can be done, of course, with freezing, but the "move connected" aproach would be much faster and direct. Besides, some angles and surfaces can be challenging to freeze without touching the part you want to move, and without leaving a rough difference between the moved part and the frozen one.

(I'm sorry if there is this option somewhere, at least I haven't found it).

2. Freeze by ambient occlusion.

I was thinking that now that there is voxel painting it may be easy (MAY BE, i don't know) to transfer an ambient occlusion calculation to the voxels color and then transfer it values to what is frozen and what not. This is useful on rare scenarios, but it can speed up the process of freezing the mouth bag, eyes, or any small cavity that we don't want to affect. It is also useful to retain small details and holes while extruding the rest of the surface.

• Advanced Member

The move brush really frustrates me in 3d-coat. If 3d-coat had a move tool that was just like the move-topology brush in Zbrush it would make sculpting much more tolerable for me. Finagling the initial shape in 3d-coat is the hold-up for me currently.

I asked for this to Raul a while ago, the issue is (and it doesn't show), the brush radius is a true radius. In fact what you see as the brush radius is the outline of a 3d sphere, and everything contained in this sphere is interacted with. This means that a topolo dependant move is impossible to do at the moment.

Raul said he would look into it but i think he forgot, or maybe didn't have enough time to do it.

If that is the case (the 3d sphere brush), I don't think that means in can't be implemented, its just about figuring out some other way to do it. However, if it just was impossible, I was thinking that then the efforts should go to have a more efficient way to freeze the geometry you don't want to touch in those situations, since by painting close surfaces its very hard that only one gets painted, I suppose for the very same "3d-sphere" reason. There is the lasso brushes, but under some situations with lots of undercuts and irregular surfaces they fall short to the task. So what about an "expand freeze" option?? Like for example, I paint only a small point of the surface I want to freeze (which can be done with small radius therefore not touching other surfaces), and then I can make the point grow through the connected surface gradually. Could this be done I wander? Expanding the freeze selection through surface? It would be useful indeed.

I think both are possible, but again the time required to implement this is probably the reason it's not yet done.

I hope it will be in the future, cause I hate moving both uper/lower lips/fingers/hair strands too.

I hope so too... it is somewhat essential.