3DCoat Forums

AMD Zen 16 core 32 threads CPU in 2016

• Reputable Contributor

If they are indeed $150 then that means it ain't much competition for Intel CPU's. I like lower prices, but pricing often reflects the capability of the product, relative to the competition. Premium performance = premium price. Moderate Performance = Moderate price. If Intel is charging $1k for it's top CPU and AMD blows it away, they'd be stupid not to price it closer to Intel's top chip.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

x86? huh? i dont understand.. so they are 32bit?

hahah i thought that too for a moment. And that $150 price is nonsense. Their top chips are $350.

http://www.amazon.ca/AMD-FX-9590-4-70-GHz-Processor/dp/B00GPJFEJC/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1434817999&sr=1-8&keywords=amd+cpu

Intel's top Xeon is 18 cores  36 threads and it's over $4000.00

http://www.amazon.com/Xeon-E5-2699-Octadeca-core-Core-Processor/dp/B00PDD1ZX0

:blink:

I'm going to have to check those 5 signed lottery tickets for a $50 million prize in my wallet, but I'm delaying so I can perpetuate the hope that I've won and can afford a dual socket motherboard with two of those in it... :p:

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

I'm pretty sure that x86 only means that it's Intel compatible.  Making a 32bit CPU in this day and age would be very strange, given that they can only support 4 GBytes of memory, or less.  

• Reputable Contributor

I'm pretty sure that x86 only means that it's Intel compatible.  Making a 32bit CPU in this day and age would be very strange, given that they can only support 4 GBytes of memory, or less.  

Plus, I'm sure AMD doesn't use the x86 tag in it's naming. It was likely something that individual put on there. It's just another way of identifying PC/Windows

• Contributor

Yup, you're guys are right. However in the article they could have used x86-64 or AMD64 term instead of the unfortunate x86. The latter term covers all processors that have instruction sets backwards compatible with Intel's 80x86 line of processors (80286, 80386, Pentium, and later) and includes processors that are 32-bit only. But the term also also includes CPUs with 64-bit instruction sets (x86-64), so I stand corrected. ;)