3DCoat Forums

3Dcoat to Lightwave error

sandman300

Hello, I've been using 3D coat for a while now, although still feel like a noob. I painted a spaceship in 3DC and everything looked good in the interface; so I exported it using the metalness workflow to lwo. In Lightwave, I get some noticeable stretching of the texture. I thought it might be the UV interpolation. But that is not it. Any idea what might be causing this and how to fix this. I'd post pics but I'm under a NDA. Any help would be most appreciated.

Stephen 

• Reputable Contributor

You could be improperly using the "Sharpen Mesh" feature which is designed for when you use a displacement map. It is not designed to be used with a normal map. You have not selected a displacement map for export.

Read the tool tip in my Attached image.

It might or might not be the cause. I do not use Lightwave.

You will have to test by deselecting "Sharpen Mesh" and exporting again.

Edit:

I added an image that shows the difference between a unsharpened mesh and a sharpened mesh.

Model on the left is 3DC viewport and his unsharpened.

Model on the right is the sharpened mesh imported into 3DC... 

look and  you will see how the polygon mesh has been altered.

post-518-0-50033100-1455585339_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-73513700-1455586313_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Well it seems I can get it to work if I uncheck sharpen mesh and export mid-poly mesh but it adds a lot of weight to the poly counts.

it's a difference between 8498 and 543552 polys

You should not have to export the mid-poly mesh but since I do not have Lightwave and without having access to the lwo file I can not help further. I do know there are a number of Lightwave users that have a good workflow between 3DC and Lightwave...

Edited by digman

I must be doing something wrong then. I watched many tutorials I didn't see any that detail the lightwave workflow.

The one that was mentioned earlier in the thread used the PTEX meathod. I always used the per pixle workflow. Is the PTEX better? I wouldn't think so, at least not for what I'm doing. Also I imported a Sub patch object, in the video it looked like regular polys. I never had any problems with other sub patch objects, could it be different since version 4 came out?