3DCoat Forums

Overlapping UV islands conundrum

Ma3rk

I'm sure this is a common occurance and I say conundrum as I'm not sure it's entirely a problem from a painting paint of view.  However, for sake of really liking to have the control & understanding how to manipulate what & when I need, how do I get around this:

It appears that I have two distinct islands and can use the 3D viewport's select island function:

post-39982-0-51982500-1454186241_thumb.j

but my result is that both halves get selected I guess as their UV's are entirely overlapping I'm guessing.

post-39982-0-54202700-1454186377_thumb.j

How do I get them seperated?  Is there some other selection tool I'm forgetting?

Zipped, the .3b file it crunches down to 2.6 megs so let's see if I can simply attach it here.  Nothing propriatary; just a reworking of something I found years ago that figured would make a good painting excersize. There are probably other issues but this one so far has me stopped.

GoldFishCoat.zip

Edited by Ma3rk

• Reputable Contributor

Here is the fixed fish obj...

I used import reference mesh from the new menu. I think the retopo room is easier to work with than the uv room when fixing problems.

Attached image shows you where I created the new seam to break apart the one uv island

Second image shows a problem area in your mesh, It effects both fins. you will need to fix these areas.

I move the eyes to the same uv set... lower right hand part to the uv set. They are red simply because they get a different amount of texture space. They are not stretched. You can remove them if you so desire... 

fish.zip

post-518-0-56437800-1454211899_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-90958700-1454211922_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

I'll have to study what you're refering to. 

In essence though, you found some errant geometry it sounds.  OK.  This was coming from Lightwave (I see I didn't mention that in this post, did in an earlier one).  I'd like to see if I can find & fix in Modeler.  I was seeing the oddness in the fins as well but was going to assk about that seperately.

In short, I need to go over the geom.

Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor

I'll have to study what you're refering to. 

In essence though, you found some errant geometry it sounds.  OK.  This was coming from Lightwave (I see I didn't mention that in this post, did in an earlier one).  I'd like to see if I can find & fix in Modeler.  I was seeing the oddness in the fins as well but was going to assk about that seperately.

In short, I need to go over the geom.

Thanks.

Good idea to go over the mesh... The problem areas includes the front of both fins as well at the bottom, I did not fix any of those type of errors only the retopo mesh.

Nice fish by the way...

Edited by digman

I guess part of what I'm testing is workflow coming out of Lightwave.  Is there any advantage woking with it's LWO format vs. OBJ.  Should I import object as a subpatched mesh vs poly faces?  Which OBJ export options do I need or need to ignore?  Those sorts of things  Oh, and what prep do I need to do in Lightwave to seperate out the the needed layers in 3DC?  It doesn't seem to go by Modeler's Layer scheme but rather by surface name.  I know it split up some earlier fiddling around but was paying attention to other things to understand what happened.

For the mostpart, 3DC seems fine with the .lwo's so if I can stick with that the better.  It's coming back to me now though that there were some mirroring issues that don't show up when in sub-D mode.

I'm still not sure what process you performed that split body island that looked seperate but isn't.  Perhaps you'd detail a bit.

Thanks. 

OK.  I whanged on it some more and figured out what wasn't clicking with my wetware the 3DCoat process.

I went back to the model in LW and found & fixed some things that would happen when mirroring the geometry.  Fixed a couple poly flow issues around the fins as well.

Marking seams is quite the Art & Science, Trial and Error, ah HA! type process I'm finding.  The biggest revelation was that I needed to perform the Update Islands task, then re-unwrap.  Until I got everthing in it's seperate spot, I couldn't perform the flipping  & rotating of the UVs w/o mucking the companion side.  That and learning the difference between Pack UV and PackUV2.

Happy to report that I believe I've sorted it out & ready to carry on.  I wanted to be able to get entirely though the process to create a genuine UV. 

I tried the PTex route as well which seemed idiot proof, right out of the box paint & (I think sculpt) right on your model & not have to worry about anything not being seamless. 

post-39982-0-30649800-1454365634_thumb.j

post-39982-0-52918700-1454365667_thumb.j