3DCoat Forums

Sable's Newbie WIPs

Sable0411

I haven't posted anything since first getting here, but I haven't had the time and motivation to really get started modeling.  That has changed today.  Let me say this is my first real attempt trying to do anything, so this is pretty rough, but I plan on seeing this all the way through.  Also trying out the youtube functionality, which I will work on the presentation there.

I used the Sphere Tool in the creation of this, basically drawing out the area first, then smoothing it out and pulling things into place with the move tool, and alternating between Build and Smooth as I was fleshing out a few areas.  The hands were done with the curves tool.  I should put a better close up because I think the hands are easily the strongest part so far, actually got them to work rather well, which is kind of cool for a first try.

I still have a lot of more smoothing and building to do, and then getting the face started properly, I kind of poked out general eye and nose points, but that's about it.  Any further suggestions or the like I would appreciate, as I am still very new at this.

post-39726-0-94592700-1452655302_thumb.p

• Like 1

• Contributor

Keep on trying , do again , the same piece , then again and again and again.

Then compare first one with last one.

Then again and so one.

At some point you will be sculpting like a Boss ;)

I probably need to actually.  I was about to start working on it again today, but I looked back over it, and beyond the few issues I was fixing, the fact is I winged that entire model.  No reference images, I just kind of worked off of the anatomy I knew for what I was going for, and did it, and in general, I think that worked well.  However, up front, I'm not aiming for photo-realistic models.  I am an artist otherwise, and I tend toward a cartoon style, so my aim was to translate my art style into three dimensions.  And to do that, I think I need to maintain reference images so I can more  properly go for the proportions I tend to create.  So yup, starting from scratch, see how this goes.

Alright, I have an update on my Modeling attempts.  First, I've decided to scratch working on a human currently, that might be a bit too advanced, so I've opted for a simple Monster, for the most part, as well as a new method for setting up my base mesh, which I rather liked and may better fit my style as it somewhat sets it up to go for that eventual cartoon angle.  I currently on what I would consider my third version, which has added a deal of detail, as I improved the fur that goes on this creature.  I am pleased with how it's going, though I've run into a few difficulties when my smoothing tool seems to be far more powerful than I feel it should be, making getting things smoothed outside of smooth all tricky, and that has other consequences.  If there are any alternatives I'm open to hearing them.  I will say it might be somewhat as a result of the areas being somewhat thin in the first place, as this figure is made of two layers, as it were, with the fur being seperate, so I could properly add details to it without altering the main body, so the area on the head for instance, hanging over the eyes, is thin.  I still don't think it should be smoothing this much though when I have the smoothing power set to absolute minimum, but it still eats through it in one click basically.

post-39726-0-94397000-1452982372_thumb.p

post-39726-0-32059400-1452982382_thumb.p

post-39726-0-93031900-1452982393_thumb.p

• Like 2

I tried to just update that last post, but it doesn't seem to be possible, otherwise I'm just missing something super obvious.  Either way, I think I'm finished with this sculpt, so I'm going to start the Re-topology, as I want to do a few more tests with this model before I move onto a new project.

post-39726-0-82741700-1453076903_thumb.p

• Like 2

Well, I'm done with the Deino Model.  I have rigged it in Blender, but I think I messed that up a bit due to the way the feet are, and frankly, while I think it is generally pretty good, I know there are errors and oversights with this Model, so really working further with it probably isn't that great of an idea.  I'll just try redoing in the future if I choose to use it for something, otherwise it was a good learning experience on learning how all the main features work, and getting it into Blender to work on it for animation.  I will probably start a new project tomorrow morning, this time aiming for a humanoid figure.

post-39726-0-33833700-1453265491_thumb.p

Alright, starting the next project.  As I previously said, I am going to do a human-type character this time, so I started from scratch again for the base, and decided to complete the base to maybe use for future work.  And I am very happy with how this model has come out, especially compared to my first effort.  I will say right now that my workflow is shaping up using primitives to build up the overall shape, so I can control placement with precision, and then smoothing and otherwise making it come together with sculpt tools.  I also prefer to set things into separate layers, so the arms and legs were all modeled separately before I combined them with the main body.  I'd actually like to keep the more separate in the first place so they are more easily modified, but I haven't found out a way to get around the creases.  

post-39726-0-85223300-1453324944_thumb.p

I decided to back off from the previous project, not sure I'm ready for armor overlaying a body yet, so I'm going for something that, comparatively, is simpler in setting up, but I'm going to force myself try and be very detailed.  And it's looking like it's going to be big.  The head alone is 2 and a half million triangles or whatever at this point.  I trued to bring it down, but I lost almost all of my detail and just to redo it.  I will probably need to keep it separate from the body, as that is where the degradation occurred

post-39726-0-98153000-1453514812_thumb.p

Edited by Sable0411
  • Like 2

I have been switching between it for this one, and I've tried to get the main base set up as much as possible with voxels and getting these sharper details in surface.  Seems like that is what I should be going for at least.  However, what I need to do is start getting the feel for setting up more textures and that sort of thing.  

This week got busy for one reason or another, so I decided when I hopped back on 3D Coat, I wanted to take a step back, again, and make something basic, a small item.  Basically to try and reinforce some techniques I had seen, and the basics.  Did it on a Digivice design I made years ago.  

Yes, I'm a nerd.

I still haven't gotten proper hard surfaces down.  Well, somewhat, it looks pretty good on the grip there, but I spent a while on the top rounded area.  Basic texture colors applied to give an idea what the finished product will look like.  And after this, I need to go to bed, ended up starting this at about 8:30 or so and hadn't stopped since.

*Also, taking a step back and looking at the side view, I see some areas where it doesn't go straight down, so I'll have to correct that later*

post-39726-0-08562700-1454228239_thumb.p

Edited by Sable0411
  • Like 1

Wasn't expecting to have this ready so soon, but here is an updated sculpt that should be the final version, recreating all the features of the original design.  I am extremely pleased overall how this turned out, and I did clean up the back stuff.  I ended up separating the problem areas with Vox-Hide and Object-ify, so I could be more thorough.  Really love that feature.  Btw, I also did this design all with my tablet, and it worked rather well, so I think I'm converted on the method.  I'm also including my original sprite work as well, at least the front, the side was a rush job to just get the width right, as a comparison.  I was a pretty big spriter in the past, I'm interested in trying to translate my sprite designs to 3D, there might be something there.  Though, that won't be my next project.

Also, I won't be able to mess with this again until later tonight, so I have a question.  That bit at the top is meant to have a kind of carrying strap/lanyard on it, and I was wondering what would be the best method for setting that up.  I figure I could just have a thin piece extending out that I mold an opening to place around it, but if I were to take this somewhere else, I was wondering if that was the best method, or are there any other options.

post-39726-0-61384000-1454262700_thumb.p

post-39726-0-96871400-1454262759.png

Edited by Sable0411
  • Like 1

And one final update.  I added the strap going off of how I best thought it should work, took a pill primitive, flattened it out, and using pose I wrapped it around the shape.  I also whipped up a hook for the end as well, maybe not the right type, but I had a good reference picture for one.  Also, I set it up that if done correctly, this thing should be able to work, as I made it into separate pieces so it should in theory be able to have the locking mechanism slide back and forth, and the main hook swivel around.  May not have needed to go that detailed, but I felt like it would be good practice.

post-39726-0-51109200-1454295824_thumb.p

• Like 2

Next project, I decided I'm going human again, and starting off with working on the head.  This time, I'm just straight up doing a Self-Portrait, as I can get pictures of myself easily enough, obviously.  My intention is to stylize, but for now, it's keeping it's realistic proportions.  And the hair is a mess, but I was mostly going for the roughing, based on various tips and tutorials I've seen, I intend to more or less reconstruct it out of preshaped pieces.

post-39726-0-39858300-1454791065_thumb.p

Don't know anything about that.  Interesting I suppose, but I have made some significant modifications.  Completely redid the hair from scratch, using the overall shape and size only as a guide.  I tried a few different techniques on how to sculpt it, one of which was setting up blocks, cutting out the overall shape, cutting those apart to try and shape them, and recombined them.  And that was a bad idea that seemed good at one point.  So I went back to another technique I had seen elsewhere, using curves to make the hair.  I had tried it previously, but I didn't pursue it because I was annoyed I think that I couldn't move the entire curve all at once, so it seemed limiting to me.  The next time went a whole lot better.

post-39726-0-55283600-1455144512_thumb.p

• Reputable Contributor

He reminds me Jeff Black... 

Yes, on using tools in 3DC, be sure always to study the panels closely or another other tools available in 3DC, lots of tools options that can be overlooked at once glance...

This does not only include panels but items in the top bars.. drop list, etc etc... 3DC is also context sensitive on a number of tools, other options will appear when you select them...