3DCoat Forums

better rotate

do lo

• Advanced Member

i dont have video recording software but what i mean is that from certain view, if i want to rotate right, it wont let me. i have to rotate around till i get to the area i want to see , but even then i am not in the correct view, it is upside down or some other view.

• Contributor

You can choose Zbrush viewport navigation if you like. Go to the Camera menu, which is at the top right of the viewport, then choose your navigation mode from the Custom Navigation menu.

It is possible however that while you are working, the camera will behave strangely when you begin to pass through the mesh by panning; you will be panning and the camera begins to move very sluggishly. This is because the camera has begun to penetrate a part of your mesh. Also it is unfortunate that the inside of the mesh is invisible in 3D-Coat. The only way to get out again without causing further problems is to continue panning until you get back outside of the mesh.

I have encountered this same problem in several 3D applications (Maya for example), so this problem is not unique to 3D-Coat. In Zbrush the camera is not allowed to penetrate the mesh. This kind of camera behavior therefore avoids the sluggish panning problem, but it also makes it impossible sometimes to see lower parts of the mesh when they are occluded by upper parts of the mesh. In that case you have to hide that part in order to see what is beneath it, whereas in other 3D apps you can simply penetrate through the mesh so you can get to the parts beneath.

The best kind of camera navigation is when the camera is able to penetrate the mesh (such that you can actually see the inside of it) and at the same time it does not become sluggish when panning through the mesh. For example Blender seems to behave this way, so in that respect, it is better than Zbrush, 3D-Coat, and even Maya too.