3DCoat Forums

reconstruct texture from polypaint

tharmine

Go to solution Solved by digman,

Hi all 

I am a Zbrush user but I am thinking to switch to 3DCoat. 

Before the move, I would like to know one thing. 

I am using currently Zbrush to reconstruct and bake textures from a Photogrametry scan. When it comes out of Photoscan, the textures and Uvs are all over the place. I usually convert the texture to polypaint in Zbrush, then re-edit the uvs and decimate the model, and then rebake a new texture from the polypaint. (texture > polypaint (or vertex paint) > redo Uvs > texture)

Question : is that same process doable in 3dCoat?

Thank you all in advance, 

regards,

Thomas

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Yes you can... but might a little different.

This is not a tutorial answer of course...

Attached image... 

Model on the left... The orignal scan with vertex colors imported into the sculpt room.

Model on the right... Low polygon model with vertex colors baked and a normal map.

I grabbed this scanned meshed off the net just to show you can... The quality of the vertex paint was low as the model was only about 300,000 polygons..  As you well know the higher the vertex count the higher the quality of your vertex color image.

Also in 3DC there is a way to bake the original high resloution texture image that is from the original scan to the low polygon mesh but this not the subject of this post.

If I have time, I might make a tutorial but I can not promise one for sure.

post-518-0-09263600-1454740370_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Also in 3DC there is a way to bake the original high resloution texture image that is from the original scan to the low polygon mesh but this not the subject of this post.

Here is an example of what I was discussing in the above statement.

On the left is the vertex colors that were applied on the 300,000 polygon scanned mesh model when imported to surface mode. As you see you lose a lot of quality from the original 4k image that was produced when the model was scanned. This is not the fault of 3DC but just the low amount of vertices in the model. This low image quality of course gets bake to the paint room as you see in the attached image.

On the right is the original 4k texture image from the scan but now baked to the low polygon model. I also applied the normal map, I had created earlier. The quality is much higher.

post-518-0-68587800-1454744503_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

Great, thank you for your answer.

So basically it is the same process as for Zbrush : import highrez model with texture > convert texture to vertex color (or polypaint in Zbrush) > decimate, retopolgize and Uvs the low model > transfer the hightpoly details mesh with vertex colors to low poly > convert vertex colors to texture. 

Does my process make sense? (that's the one I use in Zbrush). 

cheers

Thomas

• Reputable Contributor

Great, thank you for your answer.

So basically it is the same process as for Zbrush : import highrez model with texture > convert texture to vertex color (or polypaint in Zbrush) > decimate, retopolgize and Uvs the low model > transfer the hightpoly details mesh with vertex colors to low poly > convert vertex colors to texture. 

Does my process make sense? (that's the one I use in Zbrush). 

cheers

Thomas

Correct but since I have not seen the process you use in ZBrush, I do not know where it may differ. The result is same though the process can differ in parts.

3DC has it's own workflow for this task but again the results are the same as shown in the pictures. 

Are you repairing the mesh also...

The reason, I have not typed how to do it as it is a more involved process and you need to know the basic functions of 3DC from importing, retopoing and baking plus using the Texture baking tool in the paint room.

I will see if I can carve out some time to at least make a short video but can not for sure promise one  or even better if you use Skype, a voice conversation and screen sharing, I can do. It would take as much time as making a video anyway.  Pm me if you are interested. 

Edited by digman
  • Like 1