3DCoat Forums

How to get 3DCoat to be a good CPU sharing app ?

ggaliens

• Advanced Member

How to get 3DCoat to be a good CPU sharing app ?

When I'm doing a render ... my PC becomes unusable for simple other things like

wed-surfing. Can I change some settings to make it better at sharing ?

• Advanced Member

Actually ... as much as I'd like to be forgiving where 3DCoat is concerned ...

The interruptable behavior of 3DCoat during render on my machine is horrible.

3DCoat does not give back enough CPU cyles and does not poll often enough ...

is not threaded such that ... USER CANCEL can be made to a render.

It is very very hard to do on my machine.

• Advanced Member

I got into the habit of opening the task manager in Windows 7 prior to running 3D Coat because it's usually impossible to open after something has gone wrong, when 3DC is hogging 100% of my PC's resources. This way I have a slightly better chance of successfully forcing 3DC to close. You can also change it's priority by right clicking on the appropriate process in task manager. There is probably a way to set a program so it always starts up with below normal priority. This is something I used to do on Windows XP for another problematic app, but it was so long ago that I don't remember how. I have no clue about Linux and Apple machines either.

I agree with digman, you need to head over to the Mantis page and put in an official request there if there isn't one already (do a search first). There are also a number of areas where 3DC could use warnings. You know, prior to beginning an operation that may bring ones PC to it's knees, begging for mercy lol. I've encountered such a warning on a few occasions, but more often than not there isn't one at all and interrupting was next to impossible just as you've stated. I've actually had to hard reset my PC more than once, causing me to lose work in other apps open at the time (hence why I now pre-open task manager... when I remember to heh). An animated icon might also be useful so we can tell whether 3DC is still working or has frozen (like when it seems stuck at X%).

• Advanced Member

Well ... this is all related to fact that I've been doing lots of long renders ... actually trying to "TUNE" my render processes.

But this brings up what is for me ... a related issue. The renders are not very "TUNABLE". For example ... if I pick

60 rays per frame ... if I'm doing a turn-table ... 60 rays for frame 1 is maybe much much brighter than 60 rays for frame 2.

Some aspect of brightness is wild at low rays per frame. This makes ray per frame USELESS when it comes to taming down

turn-table render times.