3DCoat Forums

Multiple UV and High poly maps to low poly.

Hallo everybody,

I'm new to 3D coat so have two questions..

1. Is it possible to arrange a couple of UV on the same texture?

Another words, I have to make one texture for all objects. I have a lot of objects and their UV must be arranged on one texture file. How it can be done in 3D Coat?

2. How to project normal maps and other maps from High poly model to low poly model inside  3D coat?

• Reputable Contributor

This might help understand how you can create multiple UV sets/maps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8uzhr2Fbuw&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=39

This one shows off some of the new baking tools, that are especially helpful when you have trouble areas that don't seem to bake correctly. It also covers the baking (Merge to Paint Room) process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4F9k_yEGVQ&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=1

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Thanx. tell me pleas is it any video course or tutorials that will explain the main workflow in 3D coat?

In the "Training (General)" Playlist, Greg has a series that starts from the voxel room and goes all the way through retopo > UV layout > Paint Room. He's working on a Ghost tutorial. There is another, under construction in the "Intro to 3D Coat" playlist...but going to have to redo the sculpting part because the brushes in Surface mode have gotten so much better just in the pas t build.

Also, it's hard to determine what a "main workflow" actually is. Some will simply want to texture paint or layout their UV's. Some will only want to retopo. Others just sculpt > vertex paint > export directly from voxel room.

• Advanced Member

What gets me about many of the videos like these out there are that the person in the videos is usually just doing seemingly arbitrary things without explaining why they pick a zone or come up with a number.  I think this is one reason new and older users are having problems with just getting the information themselves.

Please don't take this as unappreciative of the efforts in the videos.  This is just an observation.

Edited by alvordr

• Reputable Contributor

What gets me about many of the videos like these out there are that the person in the videos is usually just doing seemingly arbitrary things without explaining why they pick a zone or come up with a number.  I think this is one reason new and older users are having problems with just getting the information themselves.

Please don't take this as unappreciative of the efforts in the videos.  This is just an observation.

The problem is that you are trying to cater to two diametrically opposed audiences. To stop and explain why you do this and that for every single move of your stylus, you not only bore the experience users to tears, but it forces you to stray off the topic at hand. One simply cannot explain the differences between Voxel Mode and Surface mode, every time it comes up in the course of a video. It's a no-win proposition for the person making the video. You're going to turn off one of those audiences. There is just no way to cater to both.

People don't think about this (the complexity it introduces into the app) when they ask for all these different options. It can be a hairy mess trying to explain to new users all these different options. Try and explain why the voxel object is showing in the Paint room...that's because someone wanted to be able to paint directly on the voxel models and campaigned heavily for it.

• Advanced Member

I was actually referencing the retopo room portion, so this doesn't apply.  This is why tutorials should stick to trimmed down steps for complex problems.  Otherwise, it's simply watch this guy do something completely random at times and you're left wondering why it is he did that.  For example, where the glove in the retopo room is going to be baked, he covers picking finger areas for the bake points and picks seemingly random numbers for those areas.  I was left wondering why one would arbitrarily assume those are problem areas and how one knows what numbers to choose.  I would rather be bored and learn why, then be frustrated having wasted time watching a long video only to find I'm not more purposeful in my use of the tools being covered.

Please don't get me wrong.  I love the fact that someone was gracious enough to do the videos.  I just find the inconsistency of what is being covered within a particular video difficult.

Edited by alvordr