3DCoat Forums

how to apply symmetry AFTER an operation has been made? (paint room)

ozukaru

• Advanced Member

In voxel room you can apply symmetry in real time or after you have made any change in the volume. 

In Paint Room I know how to make the "real time" symmetry, but how can you apply symmetry after a paint operation has been made in one side of the object?

Additionally: is there a way to use the depth channel as a boundary when using fill tool in paint room?

Thanks.

Edited by ozukaru

• Reputable Contributor

There is two ways depending upon your model so far in 3DC

Topological tool... If your model has a center line of polygons on both sides of an axis then you can easily use this tool by picking a polygon by the axis line on one side (pick a red face) then pick a polygon on the opposite side by the axis line (blue face) then either copy red to blue or blue to red.  

Your done... 

Clone tool is next if your Model has no center line of polygons dividing the symmetry line then choose symmetrical Copy and use your paint brush to apply the  symmetrical copy. Be sure to have additive painting turn off under the depth channel when using  Symmetrical Copy. This method works but is slower of course.

Last picture shows you where I started to copy the one side to the other by painting  using symmetrical copy on a model that has no center line polygons on either side of the axis.

post-518-0-84297300-1446305692_thumb.png

post-518-0-55426900-1446305706_thumb.png

post-518-0-11576200-1446305927_thumb.png

post-518-0-39133500-1446305945_thumb.png

post-518-0-64291200-1446306284_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Contributor

Davids way is cloning topology right?

And Carlos is cloning layers , this never worked on my side and i believed it was made for something else.

Very interesting.

Topology tool i have used it before , and done it with uvs as well , but mirroring the layers i must check it right now.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Reputable Contributor

It is funny that the Clone tool can work through all layers but not the Topological tool... That a feature request... The tool can stay on and you can go down the line of layers... to copy one side to the other but that would become tedious and more so with lots of

models to do...

I believe Carlosan way is just using the layers menu to run the topological tool where you have already selected the red and blue polygons before hand.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

@ AbnRanger... I need to spend one day some time going your tutorials and saving the links by room and category so when questions are asked and you have a tutorial on it, then I can just copy and paste the link... You have lots of them now. At 3DC's YouTube channel they are some what scattered about through just how YouTube works..

Copy and transform is a favorite tool of mine. You can create your own rec files using photoshop for use in 3DC too.

• Reputable Contributor

@ AbnRanger... I need to spend one day some time going your tutorials and saving the links by room and category so when questions are asked and you have a tutorial on it, then I can just copy and paste the link... You have lots of them now. At 3DC's YouTube channel they are some what scattered about through just how YouTube works..

Copy and transform is a favorite tool of mine. You can create your own rec files using photoshop for use in 3DC too.

We try to keep them in relevant playlists...like PAINT TOOLS. Have a question about applying symmetry in the Paint room? All one has to do is look for the relevant video in the Paint Tools playlist. Or better still...just type the name of the tool or topic in the search field for the channel (not the main search bar for youtube...but lower, under the page header). That's the fastest/easiest way to find what one is looking for.

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, It has improved. good job AbnRanger as always...  :drinks:

I saved the Playlist and the 3DC YouTube Navigation's video links as Bookmarks so that way the features demo does not appear everytime and start playing when I am looking for a tutorial. It is very easy at glance to see all the headings there and then start to dig deeper. That way I can find a specific tutorial fast, leave a link on the post. 

I will post the 3DC Youtube Navigation video you did recently on all my future post as well so newer users can get up to speed fast on all the available tutorials.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the answers. 

What about using depth channel as a limit or boundary for the fill tool?

I don't know if I understand your question fully, but you have CONDITIONS for painting, and if you sculpted some relief on a depth map, it should fall within those conditions. For example, if you sculpted a bunch of bumps on a reptile like model, you could choose MORE ON CONVEX, and use the Fill tool to quickly fill all those bumps with a given color. These conditions are also in the Smart Materials Properties Panel.

• Reputable Contributor

@AbnRanger  I know that feature, but still not ideal and I think it only works for smart materials

Those videos were using the standard condition painting tools. If you watch the videos you can see the drop list for the conditions are in the toolbar area....not just in the Smart Material Editor. They are purposefully consistent with each other, but are exclusive to one another, as well. What you seem to describe is painting based on CONDITIONS, and that's what those tools are there for. 3D Coat translates depth map data in terms of CONCAVE or CONVEX relief. So again, if you used the depth channel to sculpt some metal rivets/bolts, switch the condition to MORE ON CONVEX (and adjust the contrast parameters and such), and you can paint a metal material on just those rivets/bolts.