3DCoat Forums

Ambient light not working

tmcthree

Have they abandoned ambient light in paint mode?

Sometimes (often) I like to flatten the lighting in the scene by turning the direct light to 0 and the ambient light to 100. So I can see clearly what is the colour texture contribution and what is the lighting contribution is to the image. With the way they seem to be lighting with hdr now, I don't seem to be able to do that any more.

Can anybody help?

Is there any way to use the old direct lighting/ ambient lighting model?

Thanks in advance

• Reputable Contributor

Under the camera menu (top right of interface) select background \ vertical gradient. You are no longer lighting the scene with the HDR image.
If you desire to see the colors without any scene lighting at all, under the view menu in the paint room choose "flat shade". That is the same as if you were painting in Photoshop. This works when using lightning from the HDR image as well.

I am on my tablet so I can not move the light around in the scene when using the vertical gradient to see if it moves the old way. I will test that in the morning. Hope this helps you some.

EDIT: I fired up the computer... Even with the vertical gradient selected ambient lighting seems not to have any effect and the light does not move like the old days but appears to be limited to just moving in the horizontal.

Edited by digman

Hey Digman thanks for the input.

I have figured a reasonable work-around. If you load in an environment map that's entirely white the it gives you flat lighting. (There's still some rim lighting on the shader though, which I can't seem to figure how to lose)

I understand why they've chosen to light with hdr. It looks nice and is more aligned with pbr but I don't think it's great to work with as an artist. If I can't tell whether the texel is the colour it is because of my brush strokes or the lighting, then that's a problem.

• Reputable Contributor

Though no HDR lighting or color cast is used at all in Flat shading,you can not see the depth that is true. I see why you might not want to use Flat shading.

You can use it as a cross check for your colors then...

EDIT: LOL, has long as I used 3DC, I find what I think I know is true and then find out it is not true...

Well the lightning change is newer, I will cut myself some slack...  :wacko:

Changing the background image or to the vertical gradinet has no effect upon the lightning from the Hdr image... I pretty well always use a netural Hdr image but ran though some of the others and low and below, well darn it... What I assumed was true is not true... forgive me on that one. The only way the color cast from the HDR is effected is to select the Greyscale panorama, though you can do what you have done. I will load a mid- tone gray Hdr into my selection hdr list.

Edited by digman

• 2 weeks later...