3DCoat Forums

Houdini 15.5 Indie, now with external Rendering support

• Advanced Member

Man... These guys 'get it'.

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3206&Itemid=66

For Animation, render resolution is set to a max of 1920x1080.

Stills render resolution is unlimited.

SideFX is pleased to announce that Third Party Rendering is being added to Houdini Indie. Now independent artists and studios can use RenderMan, Arnold and OctaneRender in their lighting pipeline along with Houdini’s built-in Mantra renderer. Artists can choose their favorite renderer or assign different renderers to groups of objects in the same scene, then composite the results for the final image.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

Finally! That was a big obstacle for me, personally. Having no means of using the GPU (before this announcement) sucked. GPU rendering is where it's at, cause both CPU manufacturers have been on a hiatus from competition, and performance advances have been utterly stagnant the past 4-5yrs. Makes more sense to run a few GPU's in one's system, to have the rendering output of a small farm of PC's using CPU only renderers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On their facebook page it says: "Houdini 15.5 will be released later this week!". I agree with the sentiment that SideFX "gets it". The only thing that was holding me back from Houdini was the third party rendering support, but they actually listened to their customers input. At this point, what's there to hold indies back from abandoning Maya LT or even regular Maya? 

• Contributor

ITS OUTTTTT

http://www.sidefx.com/news/sidefx-releases-houdini-155/

Its getting more and more powerfull , so many additions , ok HOUDINI is the KING , with 3DC we need nothing else literally.

ITS OUTTTTT

Its getting more and more powerfull , so many additions , ok HOUDINI is the KING , with 3DC we need nothing else literally.

Hah I was expecting it tomorrow. That's amazing news, and I can't wait to play with it. They really do kick ass with all the new stuff that goes into each and every release. 

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

ITS OUTTTTT

There has a whole lot of awesomeness coming out of the Houdini camp, lately. Definitely time to leave 3ds Max for good. I just had a tiff with Autodesk a few days ago. Wasn't using Max the past few months, so I turned the default Auto-Renew option off, for the monthly subscription back in February. Somehow, they arbitrarily decided to turn it back on and charged my card without my authorization.

They have become so coercive with their pricing/upgrade policy the past few years, it's time to embrace companies like Blender and SideFX, rather than continuing to feed the corporate greed of Auto-Borg.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yeap , so true.

For blender never used it , but for Houdini i can quarantibe you will love it 1000000%.

Just be a bit patience , a pro power user like you will take up easily , took me less than 2 days (after watched all of their tutorials) to start working pro on its basics and after almost 2 years of usage i can say only the best.

• Reputable Contributor

Just found this little nugget:

Which other training resources are rich in Houdini content. I sometimes use Digital Tutors, but their Houdini content doesn't seem very extensive. Shame really, cause I bet most Softimage artists have or are planning on migrating to it. I would think a lot of Max users, like myself would be doing the same. Maya users have plenty of goodies to keep them content, but Max has had a larger userbase for a long time. People who are fed up with AD going all rental will probably look directly at Houdini, first. So, Digital Tutors needs to step it up, IMO.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Houdini is on my radar . just watched intro -06-modelling 1st time watching any Houdini  tutorial in the obj/table  Nodes he uses a Merge node as to be able to view both table top and legs . Does this make them both all one object or is it just a visual thing. Can you Group nodes and save as presets for  later /other projects? I will have to you tube some more videos or download a trial when I have free time to try.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Its a visual thing as every node can be altered or even add nodes beetween those nodes.

There is a total freedom in general.

Yes you can create digital assets that are also procedural , keep watching the tutorial it explains in details as you move on.

Download the apprentice its free and full .

There has a whole lot of awesomeness coming out of the Houdini camp, lately. Definitely time to leave 3ds Max for good. I just had a tiff with Autodesk a few days ago. Wasn't using Max the past few months, so I turned the default Auto-Renew option off, for the monthly subscription back in February. Somehow, they arbitrarily decided to turn it back on and charged my card without my authorization.

They have become so coercive with their pricing/upgrade policy the past few years, it's time to embrace companies like Blender and SideFX, rather than continuing to feed the corporate greed of Auto-Borg.

Wow, that was very nice of them wasn't it?

I use Maya on a daily basis because it's part of the pipeline where I work, but there's not much drawing me to the software personally. Do you guys remember Your Life Your Maya? http://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/your-life-maya Pictures of people at the beach and acoustic guitars? What's Autodesk selling again?  :rofl:

That's why I want to jump into Houdini. SideFX seems to understand the user base quite well. 

• Like 1

• Contributor

ahahahahahahahaahahahaha yes exactly like that.

Used both when a license was available (old days) , in general mostly working on the EDU nowadays and when we had the project out we were rending by month.

Last 2 years Houdini was a life saver , 3D Coat the same , SD , SP , Quixel , normal prices , good features , constant updates , wont turn back , thank you 3ds Max and Maya but we really need to let go lol 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Just found this little nugget:

Which other training resources are rich in Houdini content. I sometimes use Digital Tutors, but their Houdini content doesn't seem very extensive. Shame really, cause I bet most Softimage artists have or are planning on migrating to it. I would think a lot of Max users, like myself would be doing the same. Maya users have plenty of goodies to keep them content, but Max has had a larger userbase for a long time. People who are fed up with AD going all rental will probably look directly at Houdini, first. So, Digital Tutors needs to step it up, IMO.

CMIVFX is worth the money for a one year membership, trust me.

• Reputable Contributor

I'll have to check it out. They also have some pretty in-depth stuff for Fusion. I'm so glad some of these companies consider the freelance artist and not try to gouge them the same way they do larger studios. By the way, does anyone with Houdini experience know what the equivalent of the SLICE Modifier in 3ds Max is, in Houdini? I wanted to move a current scene from 3ds Max to Houdini (via fbx file) and will probably need to re-apply that effect.

It basically is a planar Gizmo that allows you to cut (slice) or hide from view mesh elements on one side of the plane. You can animate it to reveal or hide an object.

• Advanced Member

Does the $300 yearly fee include all the training you see on the site?

It does look good. One thing I'd like to see is the dates and software version used in the courses.

• Advanced Member

Does the $300 yearly fee include all the training you see on the site?

It does look good. One thing I'd like to see is the dates and software version used in the courses.

Yes. 

There is only one other source of tutorials that is (vastly) superior and that is CG Society ($$$) Spencer Leuders has to be the greatest master of Houdini in the world

http://www.cgsociety.org/training/course/introduction-to-fx-using-houdini

http://www.cgsociety.org/training/course/fluids-fx-using-houdini

And any FXPHD tutorial with John  Moncreif is going to be excellent.

https://www.fxphd.com/fxphd/courseDetails.php?idCourse=331

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

Speaking of Houdini tutorials I also like Rohan Dalvi's which can be found here: http://www.rohandalvi.net/home/ . Peter Quint also has a lot of free material on his vimeo channel https://vimeo.com/user2030228/videos

CmiVFX and FXphd are very good, but I'm not a fan of the delivery system within CmiVFX at all. I really wish their set up was more standardized like DT or FXphd. 

• Advanced Member

cmivfx only give their authors 40%, they do not pay anything up front, also they use the tutorials to pay people to do marketing, ( authors get nothing from this). and the guy who is in charge sounds like a used care salesman from the 90s. convincing me that the reason they charge 60% is because their delivery system prevents piracy and costs a lot to keep it up.

And they also try to bullshit you into believe that by preventing you from selling your training on other sites, because: "they tried it, trust me, and it just always results in less sales"

so while im sure some of the authors make great training, i would not support cmiVFX.

• Reputable Contributor

cmivfx only give their authors 40%, they do not pay anything up front, also they use the tutorials to pay people to do marketing, ( authors get nothing from this). and the guy who is in charge sounds like a used care salesman from the 90s. convincing me that the reason they charge 60% is because their delivery system prevents piracy and costs a lot to keep it up.

And they also try to bullshit you into believe that by preventing you from selling your training on other sites, because: "they tried it, trust me, and it just always results in less sales"

so while im sure some of the authors make great training, i would not support cmiVFX.

There is always two sides to an issue, plus I remember TurboSquid having a similar percentage offered to artists for models sold on their website. The artist should get the lion's share of earnings, not the hosting site. 40% should be enough for TurboSquid. Nonetheless, there are many alternatives out there for artists to choose from, so let the market dictate what is appropriate. I remember that Kurv studios training website, run by Wes something other. Went out of business because of shady business practices.

There are a lot of good courses on CmiVFX, but I think $300 upfront for a year is rather pricey. Everytime I re-start my Digital Tutors subscription, I end up getting very use out it. That's not their fault, but I just don't personally spend enough time going through training content to warrant $300. At least with DT, if you realize you are wasting your money, you're only out $30 or so. They should break it down into smaller segments, IMO.