3DCoat Forums

Taros doodles

Taros

I'm a little curious Taros, are you running in the GL or Cuda version 3DCoat, i'm wondering if Cuda will have better performance ?

I realize the need to go to 64bit, i myself am on the journey to 64 bit, but as you mentioned why do it when you have a good running machine, for me i will by a an extra system, 64bit, for the explicit purpose of installing software such as 3DCoat, Photoshop, 3DS Max and so on. I want to keep the other pc for trialling software and maybe using as a render farm + general daily tasks :)

Your question: Yes, I'am working in CUDA-mode only. It is twice as fast as without cuda. I use a GForce 8800 GTS with 512MB RAM.

Yes, this will be the same what I will do. I plan to buy a new PC and this one will have a 64 bit system and probably two intel xeon processors. But the minimum will be a 64 bit system, with 8 Gbytes of Ram, hopefully 16 GBytes. The new one will be my next workstation.

Regards

Chris

Alpha 83 CUDA: A current test to make sharp edges on objects.

I guess, the scrape tool is the better flatten tool... The flatten tool is currently too slow, and produces bugs.

Yoshimitsu? ;)

For sharp edges try the "vox pinch" tool.

Yoshimitsu??? :drinks:

I know the vox pinch, but it solves not all... ;)

OK, here's a sneaky tip then :) I use the "extrude tool" with a pointy brush (curved profile) and extrude the edge a little, then use vox pinch on it - try it :D

Cheers!

Ren

• Contributor

I like that character Taros.Is he a mushroom guy?Would be cool to see this painted with many clones in a scene, maybe with several different expressions.

Good luck with your new machine!I built mine about 6 months ago and it's made quite a difference with Coats performance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A weekend doodle. About 4 hours till now. I promise, I will skulpt him to the end, but I don't know when... I didn't forgot my gorilla model, it will be finished, as soon as I have my new PC, expected at the end of this year.

Makes fun. :)

By the way: the Zentaur-model is sculpted completely in 3DC, without any basemesh.

post-955-1246263695_thumb.jpg

Started to build the legs... needed some "relaxation" from my job. Had a creative blocade in my current job task, but after thirty minutes 3DC everything was ok. :)

I will modify the proportions later, I think. The charakter should represent "speed". But I will skale the hooves a little bit, too.

A short note for the body: It will not(!) be a Horsebody, it should be a deer. So, don't be surprised about the Legs. :)

Here is the current result:

post-955-1246371265_thumb.jpg

OK. I needed some sparetime today, so I took it... Following you see the result from today.

I am very pleased with the proportions now. The next step will be a muscle check and then I will switch to the next resolution level. The details are waiting, like the face and so on.

Regards from germany

Chris

zentaur08.jpg

• Like 1

If someone is interested in the workflow:

- No basemesh at the start

- Used exclusively 3DCoat tools

- For the start I've used the curve tools to form the base shape, later the same for legs, fingers etc.

- I've used the cut&clone tool for the hooves

- The details are done in first case with the build tool and smoothing

The next step are more details and the face.

Regards from germany

Chris

• Advanced Member
If someone is interested in the workflow:

- No basemesh at the start

- Used exclusively 3DCoat tools

- For the start I've used the curve tools to form the base shape, later the same for legs, fingers etc.

- I've used the cut&clone tool for the hooves

- The details are done in first case with the build tool and smoothing

The next step are more details and the face.

Regards from germany

Chris

excellent centaur bull model. besides the brush tools, do you use masking tools, subtools in your workflow?

excellent centaur bull model. besides the brush tools, do you use masking tools, subtools in your workflow?

Thank you.

No, not needed so far.

There is a lot of work to do, but I am very motivated this time. It is my first complex sculpt. I've never sculpted complex models before, just tests. One of the reasons was the missing sparetime and I don't like basemesh building and then skulpting, to much work. The voxel possibility in 3DC opens a new workflow for me. :)

• Advanced Member

That's looking really good so far!

For the start I've used the curve tools to form the base shape, later the same for legs, fingers etc.

Do you find the curves tool a little difficult to work with? I've also used it for the base shape but have found it to be rather touchy, especially scaling.

Thanks for sharing your workflow.

Update: I changed the horns. I decided to change the charakter into a Gazelle-like man. He have to represent "speed" and "pride". And maybe a little bit "kingly".

Be patient for more updates.

Thanx

Chris

gazelleman01.jpg

I really like this project. It's getting better and better every day. Are you using only a one layer. What is you voxel count right now?

Thanx.

Yes, I am using only one layer, currently. I try to stay disciplined and use the voxel level carefully. I am trying to define the entire(!) model-shape as near as possible, before I increase the voxel res.

Pointers: 58 930

Tris: 1 324 004

Regards

Chris

die Muskeln des Zentaurs gefallen mir sehr gut! Sieht super aus. Nur etwas an der Nase st?rt mich, ich kann noch nicht mal genau sagen was <_<

Der Gorilla rockt auch :blink:

Danke. Bin noch dran. Wenn Du willst, in unserem Forum in D kannst Du auch in Deutsch kommentieren. -> German WIP Thread.

I call this race "Windrunner", and this one will be used for a still image, so I have all the freedom to texture him later.

I am pleased with the charakter, so far.

There is a lot of work to do for this project. I will optimise the face later. I plan to finish the charakter pose for the later image, first. After this part I will model the base models for his opponents... Then I will cloth the Windrunner with some armor and give him some light weapons. :) A long way.

Today I've made only a few modifications. And I tried a fast export out of 3DC into softimage, which is the 3d application, that I am using in first case.

But it was only a small side trip into softimage, today. From now I will continue the model in 3DCoat.

The next step is the basement for the scene and the pose of the windrunner charakter. I am not shure, which of both tasks I will begin first... after that I will start with the opponents.

I will start with the main model details, after everything is in the right place.

Be creative

Chris

windrunner_softimage01.jpg

• Like 1

• Applink Developer

Looking good. The only thing is his front legs. They carry almost all his weight so they may look a little bit too small. Maybe it's just my eyes... But overall this is great and will be cover page picture when you finish this.

Thanx. Yes I do.

My next steps:

1. Action-Pose for the windrunner (main character)

2. Underground for the final image

3. Skulpting the opponents

4. Poses for the opponents

5. Bodydetails for all

6. Armor/Cloth/Items for the windrunner

7. Armor/Cloth/Items for the opponents

8. Some adequate weapons for all

9. Retopo all objects (optional. Depends how good I can use automatic UVW-mode of 3DC)

10. Paint textures

11. Set materials in softimage

12. Set fur (softimage hair)

13. paint image background (Clouds, Wood etc., I will decide the content later.)

14. Lighting in softimage

15. Set render passes

16. Rendern all passes (finally!)

17. Compositing

18. Get fame and critique... (optional and not gueranteed...) ;)

Be creative

Chris

Hi folks.

I continued my work on the windrunner.

I began to skulpt the face expression and the teeth.

One problem makes it hard to stay flexible: Currently, it is not possible to pose multiple voxel layers. I hope this will be possible in one of the future 3DC updates. It would be great and help to stay flexible while skulpting. I must be very careful, currently.

That's all for now. Has not much time today.

Regards

Chris

post-955-1247073695_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It is really hard to pose something. The pose tool functionality is half-baked, so far. When selecting such a big object like mine, the application getting very slow. I've tried to select the half body. After finished the selection, I turned the object. But then, I've seen that the selection was not perfect and pressed undo, to unselect some parts. But after a mouseclick the tool began a new selection... really terrible.

Then it is not possible to use the tablet pen sensivity for selecting. It have no effect.

I've stopped my project and hope for anhancements.

:(

Regards

Chris

I found a solution for my problems:

I will export my 3DC-object into softimage and rig it there and make the right pose. Then I will reimport it as a voxel object to sculpt details.

I have made some tests and the results are very good.

So, let's see.

Regards

Chris