3DCoat Forums

Win_10_upgrade

• Advanced Member

I have windows 8.1 now just wondering if anybody has upgraded to win10 and has it been smooth sailing .I always hate to do to much when I have everything humming along in most software .So any problems you have incurred with any software? also is windows itself painless or is it one big cluster of madness I hate to open a can of worms. I have enough to fix doing 3d models is my house of zen. thanks.

• Contributor

Not recommended in general so far.

Issues with 3d coat , issues with dk2 and unity development , issues with some instability .

My personal observations. 

• Like 2

• Contributor

There's nothing to gain from the upgrade at this moment me thinks. :)

Early summer next year might be a good time to do this, after the most urgent security and compatibility (and data gathering comparable to spyware) issues are adressed.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

I have to say everything has been smooth on my end, from ZBrush to 3DC, photoshop, Nuke, gaming.. Not a single issue or crash yet.

About the issues the people above me had, might be hardware specific, driver versions...etc..

I did the dreaded upgrade path instead of the clean install.. <- I never do upgrades.. was really surprised it worked.

I cleaned up the leftover OS as best as I could to reclaim the HD space.

All in all, I really like Windows 10.

I have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  I haven't done too much with 3d Coat since that time, so I have been wondering the same thing. I have had some issues with other programs and device drivers, but for the most part my computer seems to be running better.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I'm encountering an issue when I try to launch 3DCoat it doesn't want to open at all. I just switch to windows 10 few days ago but I didn't try it at home yet (only at my office where everything is fine( even with windows10)) ... 

I thought it was just a question of version so I decided to reinstall it but when I double clic on the .exe file (V4-5)  the loading circle just freeze ... and nothing happen. 

Did one of you have already encountered this issue? or do you have an idea how to fix it?   :huh: 

Best regards, 

Yv3s. 

• Reputable Contributor

Hi guys,

I'm encountering an issue when I try to launch 3DCoat it doesn't want to open at all. I just switch to windows 10 few days ago but I didn't try it at home yet (only at my office where everything is fine( even with windows10)) ... 

I thought it was just a question of version so I decided to reinstall it but when I double clic on the .exe file (V4-5)  the loading circle just freeze ... and nothing happen. 

Did one of you have already encountered this issue? or do you have an idea how to fix it?   :huh: 

Best regards, 

Yv3s. 

I've been using it on Windows 10 without any problem....until today. All kinds of issues and can't even re-install 3D Coat. I thought I had been hacked or something. I think it's a Windows Update from yesterday evening. It restarted my PC while I was making dinner and this morning it's almost like I got a virus or something. Really mad about it.

• Reputable Contributor

This is really, really bad. I was able to use it yesterday, no problem. But today, I can't get ANYTHING done. I was able to run one build...DX, but when I tried to open a file I worked on just a few months ago, it wouldn't open. I tried to re-install 3D Coat and Windows absolutely would not let me. Been troubleshooting this all day and evening. Uuuggghh. :(   Anybody else have an issue with Windows 10, and the installer? Can you run it now? With Win10 one of the drawbacks is that they FORCE updates on the user...no exception. It's one reason, I'm trying to get MS to waive the 30day rollback limitation...because I'm beyond 30 days since installing Win10. Don't know why they'd have such a crazy limit.

• Advanced Member

Sorry for your pain AbnRanger. This kind of Windows snafu pushed me into Linux years ago.

Did you upgrade or do a clean install? If upgrade I believe Windows is offering the ability to download onto media for a clean install. Seems I read somewhere they were not going to fight about the 30 day limit as well. I did do an upgrade on an older win7 box a month ago and reverted back to 7 after about a month of problems...but I think I was under the deadline.

Wish I could offer something more useful.

BK

• Reputable Contributor

After spending over 12hrs of troubleshooting...came close to having to re-install Windows all over again...I figured out it was the NVidia driver. I tried earlier in the day to update it, when the 4.0 3D Coat file didn't load properly. I guess something got botched up during the install. So, maybe go back one version of your driver and see if that fixes it. Somehow, that's all it was, for me.

Hi people,

I still have the issue with windows 10 and that's starting to drive me crazy  ... fortunately I don't have the issue with my Professional computer (that runs with W10 ) ... both of them has the same configuration and the same Graphic card but doesn't work at home AND I need 3D Coat at home too...

Does anyone could give me a lead or a potential idea to fix it?  :( 

Best regards,

Yves.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi people,

I still have the issue with windows 10 and that's starting to drive me crazy  ... fortunately I don't have the issue with my Professional computer (that runs with W10 ) ... both of them has the same configuration and the same Graphic card but doesn't work at home AND I need 3D Coat at home too...

Does anyone could give me a lead or a potential idea to fix it?  :( 

Best regards,

Yves.

For me, it actually turns out to be the Anti-Virus software somehow had started holding it up. The graphic card thing seemed to work, but then the next day, it started hanging (not loading) again. So, the only other thing I could think to check was the Anti-Virus. I already created an exception for 3D Coat in Windows Firewall, so it had to be something else. Sure enough, the darn AV was the culprit. The second I turned it off, 3D Coat would fire up like normal. To further test it, I closed 3D Coat and turned the AV back on, and 3D Coat wouldn't load, sure enough.

I ended up going into my AV settings and creating an exception for 3D Coat and it leaves it alone, now. Hope that's all it is on your end. This thing took me over a full day to diagnose. I even contacted Windows support and they were no help at all.

For me, it actually turns out to be the Anti-Virus software somehow had started holding it up. The graphic card thing seemed to work, but then the next day, it started hanging (not loading) again. So, the only other thing I could think to check was the Anti-Virus. I already created an exception for 3D Coat in Windows Firewall, so it had to be something else. Sure enough, the darn AV was the culprit. The second I turned it off, 3D Coat would fire up like normal. To further test it, I closed 3D Coat and turned the AV back on, and 3D Coat wouldn't load, sure enough.

I ended up going into my AV settings and creating an exception for 3D Coat and it leaves it alone, now. Hope that's all it is on your end. This thing took me over a full day to diagnose. I even contacted Windows support and they were no help at all.

... You, sir, have saved me from having a massive tantrum. Thanks a lot :) ! It works (> °   -°)> !

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

... You, sir, have saved me from having a massive tantrum. Thanks a lot :) ! It works (> °   -°)> !

Glad to hear it. I know how much it sucks having to try and diagnose stuff like this, and what might work for one person, rarely seems to work for the other.