3DCoat Forums

Pixo's sketch book

pixo

• Advanced Member

Hello guys,

Here a wip of my first 3D-Coat modeling.

I hope to have time to finish properly,since i'm doing it after work.

I'm already testing 3D-Coat's texturing ,i'm a little bit disappointed because i wasn't able to find how to deal with multi Udim :(.

Which mean that i will probably do the UVs ,paint it and extract the displacement in another package erf.

I hope you'll like it.

Thank you,

Pixo

post-12831-0-56476900-1343069830_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

Thank you guys !

@chingchong,the anus is an incredibly important part of this creature.I'll show you a close-up :D

@Chris,Yes i would definitively texture it, and render it, but i still need to finish it (this is still the low version 3 billions of polys).

Cheers,

Pixo

• Advanced Member

Thank you guys for your warm comments !!

Andrew told me the way to create multi UVs (even if i don't find it really smooth),so i 'll do the texturing in 3D Coat at the end.

The option for the multi UV is "import tiles as uv set" , so it mean if i'm not wrong that we need to do the multi UV-ing in another package.

I 'm probably wrong,i'll have a closer look to the documentation but at first look it don't look as smooth as other softs.

Anyway i'm allready more than happy with 3D Coat, Andrew did an amazing work.

Don't hesitate if you can help me on this particular problems, i'm a complete newbie and i don't have so many time to explore 3D Coat like i want.

Cheers,

Rachid

This is looking awesome - Are you aiming for 3 million polys for the final model?

I noticed in one of the fairly recent video tutorials that you can now paint the Voxels, and then project the colour to the retopo mesh - I tried it, it works and is super cool.

I am keen to see a wire frame of your retopo, that is if you plan to do a retopo model!

This model is really awesome!!!!

• Advanced Member

Thank you guys for your comments.

Yes i definitely plan to texture and render it, the render will be a simple look-dev.

The multi-UV tiles convert as multi UV-set frustrate me, so i will do a 8 k texturing.

The goal of this creature was to test 3D Coat (except the render of course).

There is some missing key points,but 3D coat is amazing in general.

• Advanced Member

@Taros, Ok for this one, but this is not my usual workflow.

For bigs asset it's clearly a problem.I just try to import what i consider as a little asset with 6 or 7 tiles ,with just 2k per tiles in 3D Coat and it failed where Mari with 4k was not complaining.

I know this comparison is not fair, but if the painter worked better i'm sure that many studio wouldn't bother with Mari,(edit:i forgot the support of float with a display LUT) and personally i would pay 200-300 bucks more and recommend it to replace Mari in our pipe without any hesitation.

Anyway we have a wonderfull modeler and retopo so let's enjoy it.

@michalis, thank you :)

For bigs asset it's clearly a problem.I just try to import what i consider as a little asset with 6 or 7 tiles ,with just 2k per tiles in 3D Coat and it failed where Mari with 4k was not complaining.

I know this comparison is not fair, but if the painter worked better i'm sure that many studio wouldn't bother with Mari,(edit:i forgot the support of float with a display LUT) and personally i would pay 200-300 bucks more and recommend it to replace Mari in our pipe without any hesitation.

Which graphics card are you using? I don't have problems to use several 2k Maps or bigger. I am currently using a GeForce 460 with 2 GBytes.

• Advanced Member

I don't really know , but normally i should change really soon for something proper.My main concern was that it worked in Mari and not in 3DCoat, even if the asset that i tested look to be not finished.

I will go further later and i'll let you know.

• Advanced Member

Here an updated, the modeling is finished for me.

Anyway it was just a test to learn the 3D Coat voxel modeler.

I'm impress by the simplicity, it worked very well for me.

So now it's time to learn the retopo and the texturing with 3Dcoat.

I'm not really sure about the workflow, should i paint directly on the Voxel or should i retopo and then paint on the low-res.

Normally i would go for the low-res, but may be it would be good to learn another way.

Any suggestion guys ?

post-12831-0-54289300-1344205795_thumb.p

• Contributor

Here an updated, the modeling is finished for me.

Anyway it was just a test to learn the 3D Coat voxel modeler.

I'm impress by the simplicity, it worked very well for me.

So now it's time to learn the retopo and the texturing with 3Dcoat.

I'm not really sure about the workflow, should i paint directly on the Voxel or should i retopo and then paint on the low-res.

Normally i would go for the low-res, but may be it would be good to learn another way.

Any suggestion guys ?

Try vertex painting a few minutes....try to get tiny details done...if you are happy with the resolution,then use vertex painting.

If not ,use a uved lowpoly, you can go much more resolution there....some tools are gonna be a little faster too.

But Vertex Painting is fun...you get shaders,true cavities ect..

• Reputable Contributor

@michalis, thank you :)

Nice sculpt. Actually, I've done plenty of testing with different texture map sizes, and 3D Coat is remarkably good, performance-wise, all the way up to 4k (but that is where is starts to show some limitation...with large brush radius'). It may come down to number of CPU cores and GPU. I have an AMD Phenom X6 1090t (OC'ed to 4Ghz+), 16GB (1600mhz), 470GTX 1.25GB VRAM....and as long as I keep my brush size down to medium-large and below, it performs like a champ (on multiple 4k UV maps).

Mari also uses CUDA, which I've been bugging the horns off of Andrew to update (to CUDA 5, which is multi-platform/os) and expand to all sculpting and painting tasks. These newer Kepler cards have tripled the number of CUDA cores over the Fermi cards (including a nice bump in VRAM sizes....it's easy to find 4GB versions of the 680), so if he would do this, it could impact overall performance in such a dramatic way that the entire industry would take notice. Sometimes, when Andrew goes off to his country cabin, big things are cooking in the oven, so to speak. So, I'm hoping like crazy that he's cooking some CUDA cakes. :D

It probably won't happen, though, if I am the only one requesting it.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thank you guys i will follow your advice and make some test.

By the way, did somebody already paint directly on the voxels and manage to finish something with ?

I love the idea to paint over the hi-res.

@AbnRanger, i just took a quadro 5000 with 2.5gb , i tryed to run the Cuda version under Linux, it wasn't up to date (cuda 3) ,i managed to run it with cuda 4 but the voxel didn't work(bug) .

I sent an email to the support, Andrew told me that it will be fixed.

Hope to see what Cuda can bring to 3D Coat .

So i would say :

+1 "I'm hoping like crazy that he's cooking some CUDA cakes"

By the way, i just made few test and tryed the textures export,to me it's not good at all.

A shader should have at least these parameters:

Diffusion,Reflection, Roughness and Emission.

Diffusion can be called Color or Albedo.

Reflection can be called Specular.

Roughness can be called Glossy, the difference is that the parameter is just inverted.

Emission can be called Incandescence.

From what i saw in 3D Coat there's no Roughness ??

I think it's not reasonable to constraint user to these attributes,

because in production we always create ID maps (simple mask), Dirt, etc.

We always have to create last minutes texture .

You will tell me that we can do it with the layers ...

Ok, so here my big problems,every channels is saved in a PSD which is weird to me.

It means, each times that i will want to update or publish my textures to the database:

I will have to open the psd .

Extract the different channels.

Name it accordingly to our naming convention.

By the way the shaders are more and more physical based , so the texturing begin to be done by "coat"(more and more textures).

Mari for this purpose is more production oriented and let you define your own texture name pattern, and export everything separately.

This is probably why there's no layer in Mari for the moment.

It would be good to create Groups of export in the Paint layer.

I meant, to be able to group layers and export every groups in differents maps.

Groups could have many properties,format gamma etc etc.

Hope it make sense.

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you guys i will follow your advice and make some test.

By the way, did somebody already paint directly on the voxels and manage to finish something with ?

I love the idea to paint over the hi-res.

Here's and example of Voxel (actually Vertex to be more accurate) Painting:

You can export it (via fbx) from the Voxel Room, as is, and just enable Vertex Color in your (external application's) viewport configuration settings, as well as apply a Vertex Color map in the Diffuse and/or Specular channels of your shaders.

Or you can bake it to a lower poly (Retopo) mesh like normal.