3DCoat Forums

Spiraloid Voxel Experiments

Spiraloid

• Advanced Member

This is good sculpting, :clapping:

As I already mentioned, symmetry kills this kind of sulpture.

So, this is directly from voxels or MV ? Take your time to make a separate render pass for each rim light and combine them in Ps. Better results, easy to do.

• Advanced Member

This is good sculpting, :clapping:

As I already mentioned, symmetry kills this kind of sulpture.

So, this is directly from voxels or MV ? Take your time to make a separate render pass for each rim light and combine them in Ps. Better results, easy to do.

heh, thanks for the advice, I'm not to worried about making it look good at the moment. but I agree completely that the symmetry is killing it. I wish I could put a asymmetry lattice over the volume while I work symetrically.

I know I could comp it in Ps, but it kinda defeats my goal of mastering the tool if I switch tools. I've done my share of tool hopping believe me. :) I figure if I share what hits my cutting room floor while I warmup it might be interesting.

another muckabout

129318252507.jpg[/url]

• Advanced Member

Hi

i feel very good about this Tool,and You are very creative with It.

nice feel to sculpt someone growing alive under your stokes and looking to you!

then how can we make him talk...or just morphanimate directly,something like Mari for 3D,or does ZB already has that animating feature?

• Contributor

I like the horned fella. Nice muckabouts your doing here. Lovely to watch you dropping to and from vox to surface in first video. Makes me want to experiment further with Surface tools and Key bindings. :good:Cool stuff.

• Advanced Member

Really nice. I liked how you fleshed out the look of the character as you go, in the time lapse video. I prefer to do that with characters I may design myself....only so much I can do in 2D with sketching.

yeah it's pretty cool to "doodle" without a plan sometimes.

129411260459.jpg

huh. the instancers are neat.

129411342586.jpg

• Advanced Member

I just made a picmat of an eye and assigned it to a vox layer that had two spheres on it.

here's texture I used in the shader

eye_human.BMP

here's a 60 second face doodle.

129412120087.jpg

-b

Thanks! I got it working...it wasn't nearly as complicated as I thought it would be.

-G

• Advanced Member

Exactly so. But lets talk about manual topology now. Practically impossible, or not so? Some hours maybe. Difficult!

What I'm trying to say is that there's a limit when materializing our ideas and this isn't fair. Similar limits in traditional sculpting-painting-drawing and still not fair. It never was. LOL

• Advanced Member

Exactly so. But lets talk about manual topology now. Practically impossible, or not so? Some hours maybe. Difficult!

What I'm trying to say is that there's a limit when materializing our ideas and this isn't fair. Similar limits in traditional sculpting-painting-drawing and still not fair. It never was. LOL

not sure where fairness comes into it ;)

I usually just draw the topology on in manually with this kind of case #13 (to be fair, but for shippable models like this, I wouldn't make them with voxels to start with). that I can with voxels is interesting and a fast way to concept.

It will take a few more generations of the algorithms and implementations like autopo to get it "right" and handle cases like this. we are born too early.

-b

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Right spacepainter, why?

As long we can't fully use an advanced render directly from vox room (btw I really like the 3ds internal). As long we can't paint on voxels directly. As long we cant animate or whatever.

We can export a tri decimated mesh but its heavy and really difficult or impossible to UV and texture it. On static models (like rocks etc) I sometimes export a fully decimated tri mesh and re-import it to retoporoom for UVs and baking. It works great in more cases.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Right spacepainter, why?

As long we can't fully use an advanced render directly from vox room (btw I really like the 3ds internal). As long we can't paint on voxels directly. As long we cant animate or whatever.

We can export a tri decimated mesh but its heavy and really difficult or impossible to UV and texture it. On static models (like rocks etc) I sometimes export a fully decimated tri mesh and re-import it to retoporoom for UVs and baking. It works great in more cases.

another thing I've been doing on rocklike areas. create a polyshere mesh and loosely deform it around the voxels. then snap it to the surface and use relax. use the brush with snap on to mush the edge flow where you want it. cut in new loops as you need.

\

• Reputable Contributor

just a warmup model while taking version 3.5.15 out for a spin until it crashed.

post-3075-0-82383400-1300845648_thumb.jp

I never save these models anyway.

love the new features!!!

@andrew: the real time shadows are wrecking the framerate for me in openGL.

Try downloading 3.5.15B. There were some memory leaks that Andrew fixed a few builds ago and it seems there are still some issues (perhaps related to that) to be ironed out. But he is working hard toward that end. Also, try using the DX version, instead because I recently discovered that GL currently runs like crap compared to DX. Andrew said that it was because of the latest NVidia driver version. Previous drivers versions weren't so problematic.

• Advanced Member
another thing I've been doing on rocklike areas. create a polyshere mesh and loosely deform it around the voxels. then snap it to the surface and use relax. use the brush with snap on to mush the edge flow where you want it. cut in new loops as you need.

Thanks for the tip.

Another one: just full decimate and export the tri voxel mesh, import it as retopo, no need to snap it. Supposing that rocklike models are static. Tris work fine.

I used this trick for capitals of columns on my recent post - finished projects topic. No need for loops there. A lot of clicks for UV seams of course.