3DCoat Forums

Rotate a reference mesh

Paul

I have a scanned object that I wish to retopologise. The object has been scanned at a 45 degree angle to the table to capture some of the underside. I want to bring the object into 3d coat as a reference mesh to manually retopologise it. Is there a way I can manipulate and rotate the reference mesh once inside 3d coat to align it flat to the grid - i.e. rotate it minus 45 degrees? This is important so I can switch on symmetry and only model one half. The reference mesh seems to be completely unacessible once in 3d coat except to show and hide it. Thanks for any suggestions.

• Reputable Contributor

I have a scanned object that I wish to retopologise. The object has been scanned at a 45 degree angle to the table to capture some of the underside. I want to bring the object into 3d coat as a reference mesh to manually retopologise it. Is there a way I can manipulate and rotate the reference mesh once inside 3d coat to align it flat to the grid - i.e. rotate it minus 45 degrees? This is important so I can switch on symmetry and only model one half. The reference mesh seems to be completely unacessible once in 3d coat except to show and hide it. Thanks for any suggestions.

You should be able to do some basic transforms to it in the TWEAK room. Use the MOVE/SELECT tool > select object(s) > select type of transform. It's pretty dated, and Andrew really needs to update it, so that there is a TRANSFORM tool that's identical to the one in the Voxel Workspace. That's the thing about reference meshes....they are pretty much locked. You can't edit them much. This is why it only makes sense to merge the model into the Voxel Room and choose "Merge without Voxeling"...it comes in EXACTLY like the model you merge in....no degradation. But the great thing about this option, is that you can apply shaders to it...transform it...repose it...sculpt some more on it...even Voxel/Vertex Paint it. Much better option than trying to use a reference mesh

• Advanced Member

Paul it sounds like from what you are describing i.e needing to make good/cleaning your scan before retopology that merging would be the solution.

You can also merge a mesh without voxelizing. You can also export a merged voxel form as a decimated/poy reduced mesh and re-import this as a reference mesh if you wish or reimport as a polygonal object without voxelizing.

Viewport performance is often better with a voxel model than a dense reference mesh.

Decimation is usually suggested for reference meshes.

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you for your help. So just to clarify, it would be better NOT to bring it in as a reference mesh but merge it into the voxel workspace as a surface and then going into the retopo room to trace over it with polys?

Yes, that is correct. They both give you the ability to bring in a dense mesh and retopo onto, but merging into the Voxel Room ("merge without voxelizing" checked in the Tool Options panel) gives you more flexibility. For example, if you want to use Auto-Retopo on the model, that's the only option. Doesn't work on reference meshes. Not sure why, but it doesn't. If you want to Ghost the model/layer (make semi-transparent) for some reason, you can do that on a model in Voxel/Surface mode. Not on a reference mesh. If you want to apply a shader to the object, again...Voxel/Surface mode is the only way to go.