3DCoat Forums

Importing, and editing, retopo mesh

philnolan3d

I've noticed this in the past but always worked around it. When I'm in the Retopo room and I import a mesh to use as the low res retopo I can't edit it. It's just lines, no color and none of the tools do anything to it.  Is there some trick to importing a mesh to use?  In this case it's a UFO model I made in LightWave. I have the highly detailed final, but also have the base mesh that I started with so it makes sense to use that rather than starting retopo from scratch.

I don't want to sculpt it, I want to retopo my detailed model, but start with the basic mesh I already have.

Basically i load my high res model into the Retopo room, then go to the Retopo menu and click Import, then load my low res mesh. Here's how that looks.

post-466-0-16129300-1443862982_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Phil, if your geometry came with a material, then 3D-Coat has created a separate UV-set for it. This is most likely the reason why you can't edit your mesh - it lies in a different UV-set than the currently selected one. It's worth checking.

So you want just to continue repoto on the low poly correct?

No I just want to retopo the high res model

Phil, if your geometry came with a material, then 3D-Coat has created a separate UV-set for it. This is most likely the reason why you can't edit your mesh - it lies in a different UV-set than the currently selected one. It's worth checking.

Well, every model has at least one Surface (material), It did not have a UV map though, just a very simple polygons. I'm not sure why retopo would need a UV map though, it doesn't normally have one in 3DC until you make it.

While in retopo room use the + symbol in this window (see attached) to import your old retopo mesh. 

Adjust with transform gismo and apply (which will snap it to the detailed model).

This just does the same thing as importing from the menu.

• Advanced Member

I was just about to post about this. For some reason it seems to change from update to update, but some times when you commit the primitive to your retopo scene it puts it on a new UV set. I can never make sense of why it does and why it doesn't create a new UV set, is there some kind of setting? It's a little frustrating as I just merge in cubes/cylinders/spheres for almost everything I'm retopoing and add/subtract whatever geometry I need, so I end up having to merge the UV set to my working one every time I add a new primitive. Anyone have ideas on how to turn on or turn off the new UV set creation?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. I just had to rename my UV set to match the name of the UV set that's being imported into the scene. Something as simple as changing the "D" in "Default" to a lower case one.

Edited by b33nine
  • Like 1

Yes of course , it does need a UV map , without UV map its impossible to do anything with it.

I  don't know why they do, regular retopo from scratch doesn't require one. When you retopo from scratch it's just polygons until you create a UV map.

• Like 1