3DCoat Forums

Installing Cuda on Linux Ubuntu 12.04

• Reputable Contributor

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04. I know there is a quide in the update section and I looked online on how to install cuda but somethings are not very clear. If anyone has installed cuda for 12.04, I'm all ears for any good tips...

Thanks in advance...

Reason more asking as I am looking to upgrading my video card to get enough cuda cores to really be a help in 3DCoat and rendering in Blender Cycles...

• Advanced Member

I can't help as I'm on ubuntu 11.04(I followed the instructions,downloading and installing cuda 3 if I remember well).

I answer you mainly because,as I spent some time in installing the cuda version,it doesn't worth.

I use it(as I installed the cuda library)but practically there isn't any difference between cuda and not cuda version(I have a 560 gtx ti),maybe with better/newer cards there are some advantages,but with such a card it's practically the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Ok, I got Cuda installed correctly about a week ago but alas my video card was too old. I went for a geforce 550 ti as it works with my power supply. In Linux, I just swapped out the cards (both Nvida).

Ubuntu 12.04 had no problems with that and Blender Cycles worked right away.

196 cuda cores and 2 gig of ram on the card. The 2 gig of ram will help in Cycles as it uses your video card ram for the scene/object textures and does not use your system ram.

The rendering speed of Blender Cycles is now very good... :D

Here is the video that did the trick for me using Ubuntu 12.04

Be sure to click the show more section as he puts in the commands for you to copy and paste into your linux terminal...

Watch it at youtube to get the show more section.

• 4 months later...

I struggled too with cuda in ubuntu 12.04, so, this is a very simple tip to help you:

DO NOT install blender from ubuntu repositories, just download the archive from blender.org ..

Untar and, voilà , cuda is working perfectly without having to mess with cuda developer toolkit - sdk etc

I have installed only the updated nvidia driver using the additional (restricted) drivers graphical tool...

Hope it helps...!

• Reputable Contributor

You must have installed cuda before. I don't think it is possible for blender 2.64 to install Cuda just by extracting the tar file. There are several steps you have to go through as the video pointed out plus I always download the current version from blender.org and test new builds from BuildBot.

Cuda started working most likely due to you updating your video card drivers that would work with cuda plus getting blender from blender.org.

I got cuda intstalled back in June, so I am good to go...

EDIT:

I could be miss reading your statement. Maybe what you meant was that blender from Ubuntu was the problem which I never used. The Cuda sdk, I did not download. I figured that if cuda worked in Blender Cycles then everything got installed correctly for cuda. I am been a happy camper enjoying Cycles. :D