3DCoat Forums

3D-Max AppLink

Andrew Shpagin

3 days after I said the project was done, and Taros posts in the Blender applink threads inspired me to do a an update (*smashes head into desk*): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/3ds%20Max%20Applink%20v1.6a.mzp

Now if "Auto Overwrite Old Mesh" is enabled, importing meshs from 3DC will result in them being put in their original layer groups and given back their original pivot positions.

Since I doubt anyones actually downloaded it yet, did a bit more on v1.6a. Heres the full list of changes from v1.6:

-Meshs imported with 'overwrite old mesh' enabled will now;
    --Use old mesh layer.
    --Use old mesh pivot position and rotation.
    --use old mesh bounding box (without rescaling).
    --Use old mesh selection set.
    --Use old mesh Parent/Child hierarchy.
    NOTE: objects scale matrix, transform controllers, and modifier stack are NOT copied over. Fair warning in case you want to use the applink with a rigged mesh.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just downloaded this app - all works nice, excepting that 3dCoat doesn't create UV sets according to 3dsm materials, although I think it is supposed to do that, since it shows the list of such uv sets on import dialog.

Is it expected behavior? 

(I'm sorry if i am asking about something obvious, but I've been searching for 'UV set' in this topic and haven't found anything.)

• Reputable Contributor

I've just downloaded this app - all works nice, excepting that 3dCoat doesn't create UV sets according to 3dsm materials, although I think it is supposed to do that, since it shows the list of such uv sets on import dialog.

Is it expected behavior? 

(I'm sorry if i am asking about something obvious, but I've been searching for 'UV set' in this topic and haven't found anything.)

When exporting from 3D Coat, I just check "Export UV sets as tiles" when I have multiple UV's. There is a certain way to separate the UV sets per channel if you don't use tiles. The Applink automatically uses a Multi-subobject material it detects multiple UV's and assigns the appropriate maps to the different sub-material

Ah, I see, thanks!

But I am rather talking about the opposite direction - I'm exporting FROM 3ds max TO 3DCoat, and my mesh is having multi/sub material and 3dcoat for some reason mentions these materials as uv sets on start (like, i see these 3 for a 3-element multi/sub material with materials named 'Base' 'Copper' and 'Banner').

However, after importing i can't see these UV sets in 3DCoat (actually, i only see one of them). So I just wanted to know if that's a bug or just a side effect of some sort.

icqvmb.jpg

No, I'm talking about applink (https://dl.dropboxus...plink v1.6b.mzp), which is using obj as a temp file.

I didn't have any problems with FBX (well, I mean, all was going on as i expected with FBX), but i would prefer the applink for sure, just have this kinda unclear issue.
UPD: 

You know what, this happens with the FBX exported from that particular scene i'm having issue with too.

But then again I'm not sure, why 3DC prompts you to edit these UV sets and then just ignores that.

• 1 month later...

So I took my old LW 5.6 model that was a college project. Imported it into 3ds max and used the new applink. Using the Collada presets I recieved a very nice smooth mesh, with no materials. So I tried every setting and recieved the same result each time.

But then I used the exporter and took the input.obj file and imported it into blender. Poof! works great!

So I exported without launching 3d coat and imported into blender. Now I just need to export into collada and import into 3d coat and everything works great!

Just a few more steps but at least I have my models.

I'm going to assume you mean Corona (since Collada / .dae  files aren't supported by the applink at all). For it to work you must have the Corona Max plugin installed (and preferably enabled), as well as have the "Import Materials" checkbox enabled in Maxs OBJ importer.

Edited by PolyHertz

• Reputable Contributor

I'm going to assume you mean Corona (since Collada / .dae  files aren't supported by the applink at all). For it to work you must have the Corona Max plugin installed (and preferably enabled), as well as have the "Import Materials" checkbox enabled in Maxs OBJ importer.

I think he meant Collada, as that is a file format some use for LW export. He needs to stick with OBJ