3DCoat Forums

more and more smoothing, perhaps smear/blur?

Hugo Beyer

Love 3d coat smoothing feature, it's a handy tool for blending colors, for sure!

But, here's my request. I'm really used to softwares like PaintSAI tool or even Painter that created the smear feature. It does a great job blurring the colors inbetween your own brush size.

I wonder if maybe increasing the smoothing would create that feature? Smoothing seems so weak on intensity compared to smear. I like smoothing, I just think it needs to be more pronounced.

For painting lowpoly models that would really help!

• Advanced Member

I'd love to see the "melting" power of paint room smooth amped up significantly. On higher resolution maps it's just not effective enough.

I'd also love to be able to have projection painting work with Painter. I'm not sure it's possible because of the way Painter handles it's background layer.

• Advanced Member

In case people aren't aware, the smudge tool is the third one down in the left row. Another way of putting it is that it's two down from the paint brush tool. I was using it earlier today while testing Ptex and found it has a tendency to generate blocky artifacts if I paint too vigorously.

• Advanced Member

Yes, a melt/gravity brush would be neat.

i.e. ZBrush:

Gravity: Gravity allows simulation of gravity, wind, magnetism, or other directional effects that 'pull' (or push) at the surface of your model. When gravity is on, your regular sculpting will be modified by a pull in the direction of the gravity. Imagine windblown cloth, or the heavy folds of elephant skin.

Gravity Direction: Determines the direction your sculpting will be pulled in as you work. Click and drag in the arrow box to set the direction.

Gravity Strength: Determines the amount of gravity push or pull as you sculpt. Set to 0 for no gravity effect.

Oh I was mainly requesting smear for colors, not for voxels... Smudge is not a blur function. It creates a virtual mesh that distorts/push the colors on the brush direction. There's a huge difference inbetween Smudge and Smear. And what I am requesting here is Smear on painting tools only.

If you never seen Smear make sure to check on Painter/PaintTool SAI what it does. It can also be called wetness.

I think what it does on the background is it averages all the colors that are inside the brush size and paints it on top, which makes a lot of sense if you want to blend colors.

Hey Andrew is there a way to mix both? It takes quite some time to keep switching in between these.

Using smudge doesn't get the necessary effect, really.

33aw3uh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Right, this is mostly because a lot of the hand painted gen texturing devs (world of warcraft, diablo3, and other hand painted games) are also concepters or they like to paint that way.

Well at least I know some. Maybe not them all, but I'm sure they would love to have such tool. And specially for big companies like Blizzard. I'm just saying this would be a plus.

• 1 month later...
  • Contributor

Yes! I would LOVE a smear tool!

I have often had the problem of trying to blend colors together while painting on a model in the paint room. Usually I can't get a good result in 3D-Coat, so I have to send it to Photoshop, work on it there for a while (usually adding a few layers), and then send it back to 3D-Coat. it would be very nice if I could just smear it nicely in 3D-Coat and skip the Photoshop step.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

doesn't holding down shift do exactly this? just boost the strength up.

Pressing shift when painting with the paint brush applies a blur effect which has a similar result sometimes... The smear/smudge type tools used for blending usually do blur, but they also usually have the ability to drag color along the brush's path while blurring. The amount of color being dragged is usually also adjustable by a strength setting.. There is a smudge tool in 3DC, but it's more like a nudge/liquefy tool as it does not actually blend.... basically localized brush radius image warping tools (think Power Goo). I would love to see something similar to PS Mixer brushes and the infamous finger blender added to 3DC's texturing arsenal. I've yet to see any 3D paint package with a similar tool... though maybe Mari or something has it. I have not tried all that are currently available.

• 1 month later...

Pressing shift when painting with the paint brush applies a blur effect which has a similar result sometimes... The smear/smudge type tools used for blending usually do blur, but they also usually have the ability to drag color along the brush's path while blurring. The amount of color being dragged is usually also adjustable by a strength setting.. There is a smudge tool in 3DC, but it's more like a nudge/liquefy tool as it does not actually blend.... basically localized brush radius image warping tools (think Power Goo). I would love to see something similar to PS Mixer brushes and the infamous finger blender added to 3DC's texturing arsenal. I've yet to see any 3D paint package with a similar tool... though maybe Mari or something has it. I have not tried all that are currently available.

I may stand corrected as I have read that Blacksmith 3d has smear/smudge tools that can blend across UV seams.  I have not tried it personally....I would be curious if anyone has it and can comment on it's implementation in that program and whether they have found it useful or not. Perhaps it would make a good example.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...