3DCoat Forums

• Contributor

So many cool plug-ins for Max, but buying so many plug-ins must be expensive, plus you have to pay for Max too. The plug-ins lock you into a payment scheme because you have to buy Max to use the plug-ins, and you have to buy the plug-ins to use Max (because Max doesn't natively give you what you want).

I guess maybe it's worth it if you make enough money and you can consider it as a legitimate business expense.

• Reputable Contributor

So many cool plug-ins for Max, but buying so many plug-ins must be expensive, plus you have to pay for Max too. The plug-ins lock you into a payment scheme because you have to buy Max to use the plug-ins, and you have to buy the plug-ins to use Max (because Max doesn't natively give you what you want).

I guess maybe it's worth it if you make enough money and you can consider it as a legitimate business expense.

This is true and with AD being so coercive in the upgrade policy the past few years....now going to rental only...it has me learning Blender. However, a lot of plugins, such as the ones I shared above, are very low cost. PolyFX was about $60 I believe and definitely worth it, if you do any sort of Motion Graphics work. Really brings a lot of the same capabilities as MoGraph in C4D. There is another one, called ATK, that is really powerful as well....for only $25.

But the biggest thing for me is not only the AD pricing/upgrade policy, but the fact that after all these years, it STILL has no native volumetric effects tools. Not even an old, obsolete manual toolset like Afterburn or Pyrocluster. It's the only major 3D app where you can't even do a decent set of clouds out of the box, and instead you HAVE to buy a $900 plugin like FumeFX or PhoenixFD. Blender at least has decent set of fire/smoke/liquids simulation tools (would like to see them kick it up a notch or two, so that the tools are legit film/game cinematic quality), and you can now render those sims on the GPU (Blender release 2.77).

You cannot render FumeFX or Phoenix FD on the GPU, so it's not even possible to do in Max, plugins or not. So, yeah...it's tough to leave, but Blender development is making it worthwhile

• Contributor

and you can now render those sims on the GPU (Blender release 2.77).

Wow! That's great! The last time I did a smoke sim with Blender I had to send the render to Rebusfarm because it was way too slow on my machine. Rebusfarm rendered it really fast, but it cost me like $50 I think. I wonder how much faster that same scene will render on my GPU? I'll have to check it out...

Anyways smoke and fire on the GPU in Blender is great news! Thanks for mentioning it!

• Like 1