3DCoat Forums

3dcoat to lightwave 3D

I too got 3D Coat to work along with Lightwave.  I'm pretty sure I can follow along with the silent version but annotations would be quite helpful.  Obviously you write well enough in English so wouldn't think narrating would be much of a problem.

There are translation apps though.

Actually, it was pretty easy to follow along.  I have some questions about your export choices, but more wondering if you've tried any displacement maps yet and incorporating them into the Lightwave object.  I'm pretty sure this has to be done via Nodes as per the LW docs.

Looking forward to more

• Reputable Contributor

Try the GLOSS/SPECULAR COLOR Export workflow. It seems to work best in most renders. The other options are more or less designed for Game Engines. I asked Andrew to make some note during the process, letting users know this. We'll see if he does.

In your renderer and materials editor, your color/diffuse map should be fairly dark, wherever metal surfaces are...the reason being that all metals have a black diffuse component, and the color is derived from the reflection properties. So...

1) Color map into the Diffuse/Color Channel

2) Specular Color map into Reflection/Specular Color channel

3) Glossiness map into the Reflection Glossiness channel

4) Normal map into Bump channel

You may have to tweak the output curve of the Glossiness map some, to get an exact match between what you see in 3D Coat's viewport and your renderer...but that's about all there is to it

• 3 weeks later...

Try the GLOSS/SPECULAR COLOR Export workflow. It seems to work best in most renders. The other options are more or less designed for Game Engines. I asked Andrew to make some note during the process, letting users know this. We'll see if he does.

In your renderer and materials editor, your color/diffuse map should be fairly dark, wherever metal surfaces are...the reason being that all metals have a black diffuse component, and the color is derived from the reflection properties. So...

1) Color map into the Diffuse/Color Channel

2) Specular Color map into Reflection/Specular Color channel

3) Glossiness map into the Reflection Glossiness channel

4) Normal map into Bump channel

You may have to tweak the output curve of the Glossiness map some, to get an exact match between what you see in 3D Coat's viewport and your renderer...but that's about all there is to it

Perfect, great suggestion.
Thank you

Edited by maxreal