3DCoat Forums

Importing from Rhino (.obj, .stl): I cannot see imported object

Mikko

Ok, I'm going to lose my  mind.

Im trying to import .obj or .stl object from Rhinoceros 4.0, but I dont know what Im doing wrong!

In Rhino I create simple object like cube. Then export it as .obj or .stl.

I import this file to 3D Coat, but I cannot see it! Gumball appears, but I cannot see this imported object. What I have done wrong?

This file opens fine in Rhino or Meshmixer, but in 3D coat I cannot see this object!

I remember that I used to import same way, but it doesnt work anymore. Have I changed something in 3D Coat? I have uninstall and installed again, but still same thing.

Can someone please tell me why I cannot import anymore. Is there some way to reset 3D Coat?

Firstly, we need to know whether you are importing your Rhino model into the Voxel Room or to another room for retopo or painting.

If you are importing your model for further sculpting using Voxels - your model may be so small it does not show up beneath the Transform Gizmo.  Try scaling the whole thing up with the middle scaling cube on the Gizmo - and it may appear after adequate scaling.  Once it is, perhaps, 1/2 the size of the Viewport, press the "Enter" key to commit it to Voxel space.

Greg Smith

Thanks for quick reply. I tried to scale "object", but nothing happens. I know that object can be small, but no matter how Im zooming or rezising it, I cannot see nothing.

If I remember correctly, Im using default export options when exporting Rhino. Like I said, exporting and importing has worked before. i dont know have I messed up 3D Coat or something coz it doesnt work anymore.. I try to post step by step how im trying to export/import.

BTW, Im able to do same operation with my workcomputer (from Rhino 4.0 export-> import 3D Coat 3), but for some reason its not working with this another computer.

Edited by Mikko

• Advanced Member

I've attached an obj exported from Rhino 5. It imports to 3D Coat for voxelizing with no problem. The file size is fairly large because I exported it with a dense mesh to maintain detail when voxelizing.

If you want upload your obj I'll take a look.

3DC_test.zip

Edited by bisenberger

I've attached an obj exported from Rhino 5. It imports to 3D Coat for voxelizing with no problem. The file size is fairly large because I exported it with a dense mesh to maintain detail when voxelizing.

If you want upload your obj I'll take a look.

Thanks!

This testobject works fine, so its must be something when I try to export object from Rhino. I will make some tests.