3DCoat Forums

Vox Extrude Or What?

Tony Nemo

• Contributor

Yeah, I bridged using a primitive in voxel mode. I found boolean operations in Surface mode occasionally run into an self intersection error that doesn't allow the booleans and the "Remove Self Intersections" command in the Voxel menu doesn't fix it.

• Advanced Member

Yeah, I've found that, as well.  If I want to sculpt in "Surface Mode"-like operations, I'll simply do it and quickly go back to Voxels or just do it in ZBrush.  I don't personally like Surface mode for much more than the occasional smoothing or some other rarely used tool (for me that is).  While others swear by it, it's not for me.  If you have questions about Voxel mode, assuming you tend to stay in Surface Mode, I've become fairly well versed in it.  I, too, find the Remove Self Intersections command doesn't work very well.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

By the way, I forgot that one other thing you could try, if you want to bridge something, is to use something like the Toothpaste tool.  As long as you have a surface underneath what you're trying to "bridge," it should allow you to paint a glob of clay across the gap.