3DCoat Forums

Distortion in symmetrical UV map.

Ghastly

Go to solution Solved by Ghastly,

• Advanced Member

So I made a low poly model in the retopo room. I've been trying my hand at manual retopo. I made and unwrapped the model with symmetry so I'd only have to texture on half of the model but I've noticed a distortion with the way the model displays a texture in Daz Studio.

In the paint room in 3D Coat everything looks fine but when I load the texture in Daz Studio the right side of the model has a distortion on the right leg and arm.

Any idea what's going on?

post-38257-0-56953100-1455066103_thumb.p

post-38257-0-03995700-1455066278_thumb.j

Yea like kitsune0 said, it's probably a triangulation issue.

Generally, after doing UVs, you want to triangulate your whole mesh when importing it into 3D-Coat for painting (You just need the texture files afterwords and can go back to the non-triangulated mesh if you want).

You can also select 'View > Lowpoly' to see the mesh with an alternative triangulation method.

• Advanced Member

So I retopo my mesh.

UV unwrap it.

Export the unwrapped retopo.

Triangulate the retopo mesh.

Paint. Export textures and now the exported texture will work properly with the untriangulated retopo mesh?

That'll do the trick?

• Advanced Member

Crap. Daz doesn't do triangulation.

Oh okay I found the triangulate function. Yeah, Daz isn't maintaining symmetry when it triangulates the mesh for rendering. It seems to randomly decide which direction to triangulate the polygons.

So I paint the triangulated mesh with symmetry and the texture map will work even though only half the figure is unwrapped and mirrored to the other side?

Edited by Ghastly

• Advanced Member

Hmmm. it actually seems to distort worse when I paint on the Daz Triangulated mesh in 3D Coat. The problem is definitely an issue with the triangulation.

post-38257-0-60861700-1455135161_thumb.j

Edited by Ghastly

• Advanced Member
  • Solution

Well I learned something new today about low poly modeling. Turns out the problem was with my geometry. Some of the quads were too non-planar. I modified the geometry and that fixed the problem.