3DCoat Forums

3d relief work

stoltoguzzi

Andrew,

I respect this might be a little outside of 3D Coat. However it is a function which buyers seek, me included.

Traditional sculpture tools like chisels focus on details and 3D Coat speeds these focused functions digitally, in gradual steps.

Automatic sculpting tools might eventually see complete images as one paint brush, or....

Automatic functions might convert texture into detailed 3D mesh.

A function of converting shaded 2D into 3D volumes or 3D surfaces.

So, is there any goal in 3D Coat similar to these more complex functions?

Bo

Well I'd never actually tried it before so I quickly tested it out. My results were messy but I didn't put much effort into it.

Open 3DC and of the sample image that pop up pick the flat plane one (import image plane). Or just go to File > Import Image Plane.

The pop up window allows you to choose images for depth and color. I didn't have much luck with depth, maybe someone else here has used it more. So I loaded a photo of a girl for just color. I picked higher resolutions and it was difficult so you're probably better off using lower resolutions in that window.

When you're done you're presented with a flat plane in 3D space with the photo on it.

I decided to use the solid flat alpha in the Pen options (upper right corner of the screen). Then turned off Depth and Specular on the right by right-clicking them. I also turned off Additive Drawing in the Depth pop up window.

While pressing hard I traced the outline of the girl and filled in the "interior" of her head. Then I turned Additive Drawing back on, picked a softer Alpha pen, and started painting in the bump for her ears nose, eyes, etc. Just painting adds relief while holding Ctrl while you paint removes it. Holding shift smooths out the bump.

After I was done with my test. I went to File > Export Model. For you I would uncheck all of the boxes and choose Export Mid-Poly Mesh from the drop-down box.

Attached is a screenshot of my exported model in LightWave 3D.

Oh Also... start with a square image other wise 3DC will stretch it to fit on the square plane.

post-466-1223926974_thumb.jpg

are there any tutorials to start with, sorry I'm more the engineer and this kind of programm is new for me

Not 3DCoat related, I remember a pretty old free software that do something similar.

http://www.amdpiu.com/transfer/ZSURF4.zip

It convert a BMP file in IGES. I import straigth to moi and works quite well.

Maybe with some little refinement the philnolan3d method it's better.

Luca

• Advanced Member

I would not really recommend 3DC for relief type work, atleast not yet because something like that requires either very high polycounts to get a smooth surface or a nurbs or even a solids based solution like what ArtCam's jewelry software uses. Take a look at what ArtCam's JewelSmith can do, pretty good looking stuff!

http://www.powershape-jewelsmith.com/toolb..._relief_mod.htm

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member
bitmap to displacment is not all, for example taking an portrait will mostly not be correct:

- dark eyebrows or hair will result in a deeper area

- or the lips can have any color

so for this I need to make modification an then export it as format to be able to cnc-mill (STL, IGES...)

I did a quick test, first generate this displacement map using shadermap pro, then used it as brush shape to extrude voxel in 3DC, plus some hand painted modification.

The result mesh is about 840k triangles.

post-751-1224001389_thumb.jpg

post-751-1224001411_thumb.jpg

If I may... Firstly you have to be using the alpha version in order to use the Voxel mode. Once you have the height map You'll want to go to the Pen button in the upper right and click the folder icon that's in with the rest of the B&W Pen tips. There you can load your height map. In the lower left is the cube icon to enter Voxel mode. Go to the icon above the paintbrush in the upper left of the program and pick one of the icons on the right side of the pop up. Square will work. And use that to slice off one side of the voxel sphere so you have a flat surface. Then go back up and select the pen type you were using before in that upper left area (to get out of the "Square" pen tip). Now of the Voxel tools pick Draw With Pen and uncheck the box "Grow on Pen Motion". Adjust your brush size to how you like with the [ ] bracket keys and then just click or press your pen onto the model. If there is not enough detail you may need to Undo (Ctrl+Z) and click the Increase Res button and repeat until you have enough detail.

sorry for some stupid beginner question

I'm not shure if I understand what I'm doing...

- importing the images, I see it inverted, can I change this in 3DCoat

- could slice the of the voxel sphere (this is allways round or can I start using a flat surface or any other model)

- then selecting the draw with pen

- what pen should I take, what size

- now I start to draw, what should happen now, does I draw now step by step the complete picture?

I made a quick 'n' dirty video of what I explained above. That should make things more clear.

http://screencast.com/t/SAZ8YWSH

As far as being inverted, I think that's a bug that Andrew is working on. I didn't show this in the video but afterwords I grabbed a soft pen and held Shift while brushing around the rough spots to smooth them out. Smooth All does not seem to be working right now with Surface tools like Draw With Pen. You could try smoothing the flat surface before stamping the image on, that might be easier.

just for fun here's a render. (I think I just made an avatar for Andrew. :P )

2008-10-15_1528.png

Oh and yes you could import your own object using the Merge, then Select Mesh, buttons in the volumetric tools.