3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Increase the quality of the projection for external edition (just as Blacksmith3D)

David Tailliez

Do you think it would be possible to add a function for increase the quality level used when editing in rapid projection (outside of 3Dcoat) just like BlackSmith 3D ?

This mode is really usefull and work perfectly, but the quality loss is too large if the resolution of the projection remains in the screen resolution.

Just to explain quickly if you don't known how work BlackSmith3D, you can choose from 100% to 1000% of the current screen resolution to work with the external projection mode, working in the 1000% mode if just perfect, because the projection has virtually no loss.

I hope you understand, and sorry for my very bad English; i'm French ;)

• Advanced Member

Im not sure if this will work.. since the quality of external projection is totally depended of the texture size you work with you cant get sharper resolution than the texture size you've applied in 3DCoat..

If you really want uber resolution you should look into PTEX, or multiple UV-Sets to really get the most out of it.

Hi Johnny !

It's really possible, as i'm own of one licence for 3DCoat and one licence for BlackSmith3D, so I can easily compare the two software, 3DCoat is really the best, without any doubt, I purchased one licence of BlackSmith3D only for this function ! Yes, really !

Let me give another example: I work on a model, composed of three 2048x2048 textures (head, upper and lower), in projection edition, with BlackSmith3D (in 1000%) i can work on the real high definition "screenshot", with 3DCoat, i'm limited to the resolution of my screen, and, whatever I change, the result get blurred once back in the studio, not as BlackSmith3D, where i have no loss, zero.

To time, it's the only function that i like into BlackSmith3D, i would really like see it into 3DCoat, because is hardly to switch permanently between the two softwares, only for that, with this function added into 3DCoat, i will work without lost my time to switch every time, and this function will add alot of potential to 3DCoat for people like me which work very much with the painting studio.

If the forum accept it, i can provide two projection files, one from 3DCoat and another from BlackSmith3D to let you compare the definition of the projection, you will be surprised of the difference !

I projected my entire model from 3D Coat and BlackSmith3D, it's the same model, the same texture (I just copied the belly button from the results to avoid image size issues, without resize the three parts);

See yourself the difference:

post-12826-0-87243900-1342023953_thumb.j

Image 01 : It's the belly button taken from the original texture;

Image 02 : It's the belly button taken from the projection of BlackSmith3D with size set to 1000%;

Image 03 : It's the belly button taken from the projection of 3D Coat;

(Any image was resized, i just copied/pasted the belly button's for avoid issue with the sizes of the image on the forum and remove nudity).

To complete:

The real texture is 4096 x 4096 pixels;

The projection texture from BlackSmith3D is 16240 x 9170 pixels;

The projection texture from 3D Coat is 1920 x 1148 pixels.

Did you see ?

This tool is perfect on BlackSmith3D because it allow the designer to work on every part of the complete model without load/save/load/save each part (for seams or creating highlight, shadows, etc ...), and, once back in the studio of BlackSmith3D, the result is clean, virtually the same that on Photoshop, not just as 3D Coat where the result is blurred.

Sorry for my bad English.

post-12826-0-87243900-1342023953_thumb.j

Wait wait wait - does this mean we finally get high quality projection painting? I've been waiting for this ever since I owned a license.

Yes !

Thank you to Andrew, which, like a true professional, take care of these customers, not like these competitors !

A company that listens and takes into consideration the needs of its customers is important to me, I left ZBrush, I left BlackSmith, and I will purchase all the all the next versions of 3D Coat, without any hesitation !

Congratulation Andrew for this amazing software, quite simply the best !

Save this post for posterity, sometimes we all regret what we said.

This is not really useful, the 3D is my passion, but also my livelihood.

I own licenses of several "big" software such as Maya, 3DS, ZBrush, Photoshop, BlackSmith 3D, 3D Coat and many more ... and the only one I do not regret today is 3D Coat, because the software is simple, well done, and that the support provided to the customer is simply, to date, 1000x better than which of the software mentioned above (none of those mentioned above has denied answer my messages, even to be "negative" !)

If I should, tomorrow, recommended a software for creating 3D models or sculpties "on the fly", or for "3D painting", it will undoubtedly be 3D Coat !

Ho, i don't work for 3D Coat and i'm not renumered for this post ;)

• Reputable Contributor

The downside to getting so many goodies and being able to have a good deal of input is that the software is usually in an Open Beta state and that in of itself invites varying degrees of frustration. Andrew is always working to squash bugs and will double down on them prior to an official release (like 3.5 or 3.7). Everything in between is in a Beta..It's easy to forget that sometimes. Sometimes it seems like the app wants to fight me tooth and nail to get any work done, and then there will be a period where things are working rather smoothly.

The best thing is to make note of stable builds and keep them on hand, so that you can fall back to them when problems arise. Andrew has done some really nice work lately, so don't let one or a few people's views tarnish your own outlook on the application. It still rocks pretty hard in many, many areas.

The downside to getting so many goodies and being able to have a good deal of input is that the software is usually in an Open Beta state and that in of itself invites varying degrees of frustration. Andrew is always working to squash bugs and will double down on them prior to an official release (like 3.5 or 3.7). Everything in between is in a Beta..It's easy to forget that sometimes. Sometimes it seems like the app wants to fight me tooth and nail to get any work done, and then there will be a period where things are working rather smoothly.

The best thing is to make note of stable builds and keep them on hand, so that you can fall back to them when problems arise. Andrew has done some really nice work lately, so don't let one or a few people's views tarnish your own outlook on the application. It still rocks pretty hard in many, many areas.

I totally agree, and I add that in addition to the software itself, Andrew manages the forum, its customers, and many other things (mantis, ...), things that larger companies do not even bother to do, then they have the means (technical and financial) much more important!

Personally, I stay on my position, 3DCoat has nothing to envy of other similar tools, and if Andrew continu in this direction, 3DCoat will be an indispensable tool ( is already the case for me :) ).

• Advanced Member

Well I'm a happy customer. 3dcoat made me and continous to make me financially comfortable. I couldn't do texturepainting, uv and retopo, basemeshes in the same amount of speed without 3dcoat that helps me in projects cut the time it takes creating assets and focusing more on what the projects really need.

All artists have different needs but so far 3dcoat has done tremendously for my work.

The users looking for zbrush sculpting quality are probably not so happy but I think they should just use the appz strength for now. Look how much modo users waited for animation tools, 8-10 years I think. :D

• 10 years later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Increase the quality of the projection for external edition (just as Blacksmith3D)