3DCoat Forums

Mac Version is 19A Windows Beta is 20 Why ?

Hi

why the Mac Version is not same like Windows Version ?

In 19a is no Option in Preferences to switch Beta Tools on or off so i think it is not same Version it is a older one.

Please have a look at the Picture it shows the Main Menu from 3dc in German i don ´t know your way to bring new Features to the

program but i think it was very much better to fix first the small bugs in Interface like dynamic menus for Main menu, automatic

resizing of Buttons Bard and Menus if language others than English.

With a Menu like that nobody can work.

greetings from Germany

Andre

post-3730-0-66089300-1305976018_thumb.jp

The mac version usually trails the windows version by a few days. Rather than releasing them both at once, they seem to compile the windows version first and see if there are any showstopper bugs.

On one hand it means mac users have to wait a few days longer than windows users. On the good side though, often any problem issues get fixed before the mac beta becomes available. This is great for mac users :)

Don't worry, 3d coat gets updated quickly and often, so you won't have to wait for long to get the latest features.

hmmm, i dont know if 32 bit mac will be able to handle the early live clay betas by the sound of it.

I know 3DC'S developers have often criticized the mac software tools but i read that modo's brad peebler thought the mac tools were now as good, and in some ways better, than the PC equivalent. that was in 2007, so i don't understand why 3d coat's mac guy is so embarrassingly slow to deliver 64 BIT 3DC for mac users.

• Advanced Member

the same main menu everywhere. Your compliments to the chef. ;) Still a 32 bit mac build, even for you in germany. :drinks:

Actually, mine doesn't look nearly as corrupted as theirs (on OSX 10.6.7, 3.5.19a EN), so I see the OP's point. It looks like the localization isn't properly accounting for the width of labels for German (and/or they need to use abbreviations in the German localization instead of the full words). If that's the menu bar they're seeing, it IS a bug, and worth mentioning.

I, too, would love to hear some status about the 64-bit Mac work, as it does sound like Mac users are about to be "left behind" by some of the new tools due to those features' resource demands. I'm a bit disappointed of late over the lack of apparent priority assigned to getting 64-bit Mac 3DC done. 3DCoat's done a great job of maintaining feature parity between Mac and Windows users to date, but without priority getting 64-bit Mac released, the lack of access to >32-bit RAM resources is creating a feature gap in practical usage. Even though the features are present, Mac users can't access enough RAM to get real work done with those features, and that's becoming a problem.

Andrew, can someone there please at least provide regular status updates about the progress of the Mac 64-bit work? Without them, from this side it starts to feel like there may not BE any ongoing progress.

Hi,

normally if a program is cross platform the code is the same on all platforms only the compiler handles the translation to other operating system

so nobody must make a special version for mac.

it seems that Andrew have split the 64 Bit windows Code from the 32 Bit version (i dom´t know i think so) normally thats the right way to leave 32 Bit Code

out of new versions i don´t know where the problem is to bring up a 64 bit mac version maybe the framework or other things but i am not unhappy with the 32 bit

version on mac it works like design and make a lot of fun.

The only thing that for me was not ok is to bring one feature after the other and make the program bigger and bigger and in that process lost the connection to

the ground for me it is not possible that i have feature x or y if the rest from program isn't ready and ready for me is a program that have not so much bugs and

is stable without crashes.

Than and only than it is time for feature requests.

It is a heavy work to produce a program on all these platforms i know that more platforms more different bugs thats Murphy´s law.

So i don't need a own version for me it was enough to get a stable mostly bug free version thats why i test the new Beta and if more people try to get

a release bug free and not cry for new features (why i have not feature xy Zbrush can do that) we all get a better program ;-)

greetings from Germany

Andre

the same main menu everywhere. Your compliments to the chef. ;) Still a 32 bit mac build, even for you in germany. :drinks:

The mac version usually trails the windows version by a few days. Rather than releasing them both at once, they seem to compile the windows version first and see if there are any showstopper bugs.

On one hand it means mac users have to wait a few days longer than windows users. On the good side though, often any problem issues get fixed before the mac beta becomes available. This is great for mac users :)

Don't worry, 3d coat gets updated quickly and often, so you won't have to wait for long to get the latest features.

Yes, this is very exact description.

This time there was additional obstacle for Mac & Linux version - after making Win version I left for 2 days to wife's sister wedding to other city, so making Mac version was just impossible. I plan it for tomorrow. Anyway LC is in prototype stage, and actually not ready to production, it is just to report you that all goes well. Regarding 64 - bits - work is not stopped, all goes well, but it is not easy thing. I will tell to programmer to understand time frame better, but I am sure it is in very final stage. Code of 3DC itself is the same for all 32/64/AnyOS versions, difference is in hardware/OS low-level libraries.

• Advanced Member

I asked about 64 progress and it already runs well but several issues:

- wacom support

- cuda support

- floating license support

only (1) is critical for beta, so I hope this time beta of 64 bit version is really close to be done.

That's great news, Andrew! Thanks for the update!

I'd happily do without CUDA support (ATI gfx here, anyway) if it meant getting a 64-bit Mac 3DCoat beta in our hands sooner.

• Advanced Member

Just reminding to Andrew and most of mac users:

What cuda cards do you expect to find on macs? ATI, or poor nVidias like GT120-240. Maybe some have installed quadroFX but can Andrew support it?

@John W, please upgrade to 10.6.7 if not already lol