3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat for OSX 64-bit [beta testing]

• Advanced Member

!!!!!! THANK YOU :-)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can finally(hopefully) open my .3b files that were too large to reOpen on 32bit 3DC OSX.

EDIT: So far so good, no major bugs/crashes. I'm seeing a frame-rate gain as well, looks like I'm getting about 25% more FPS now with this build. And a few minor glitches with the 32bit OSX 19a build are gone now in this 64bit build, !!! good stuff. Thanks again Andrew(and company)

• Advanced Member

yeah, to chime in again, its VERY smooth, noticeably smoother than the 32bit version. This is a very mature alpha/beta, especially being the first 64bit OSX build to publicly test.

And for me, since a number of 3D apps on mac use control, not command, I personally dont mind.(especially since I use windows and linux often enough as well)

• Advanced Member
his is a very mature alpha/beta, especially being the first 64bit OSX build to publicly test.

By all means ifxs! +1

Impressive OSX build, :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

What I reported to mantis already is that CTRL key is broken! CMD key instead. This is wrong.

For instance all navigation and the opposite of a brush works with cmd.

• Advanced Member

Lot of tests, 64 bit build shows the difference.

For the first time here, OSX 10.6.7 crashed. I had to repair (safe mode). This isn't good. It happened during auto retopology test on a 10 M vox. I can't provide any stuff, sorry.

Waiting for the next build. Please test it first, before uploading.

• Advanced Member

I'm not complaining, trying to give some valuable reports.

This isn't possible always, especially when an app kills the OS

But having ctrl key off, this is something else. Indicates that nobody tested anything. Difficult and hard to navigate, difficult to test behavior of tools...

• Advanced Member

So far the only major bug I have run into is a voxel destruction / artifact bug after undoing/apple z after using the pose tool.

This is true whether undoing from the pose tool in surface mode or using the pose tool in normal voxel mode.

NB: this becomes apparent after multiple undo stages not just a single undo

See image attached.

post-2166-0-96591500-1306705968_thumb.jp

Aside from that so far this update is my favorite yet with great brush response. So happy to see a deform cage in the pose tool - it's a wonderful addition.

• Advanced Member

OK, lot lot of bugs... lol

what should we do? I reported two of them already (ctrl issue among them)

But crashing OS ... I didn't like it at all.

Orthographic projection is another issue. Especially under retopo room

As we're all mac users here, as we'll probably have lot of OS crashes... an advise

After crashing, restart holding shift (safe mode) so OSX can clean all cashes. Then restart (not shutdown) In case you didn't know it. :)

Hello Mac users!

1. Regarding CTRL/CMD key. CTRL key will be enabled in the next build, but please specify, which button should CMD key duplicate – ALT or CTRL?

2. michalis What type of background image was that? “Camera > Background > Choose background image”? It seems like it works as expected. What about other types of background image? Do they work?

3. moska Does the application crash? Please try to run the executable from Terminal. It may output some useful messages.

4. michalis Was the 32-bit version of 3D-Coat crashing the OS?

• Advanced Member

hi sergyi

i dont know how to use terminal at all!

to me this beta is no usable,its hard to lauch,one sucessfull for five aplication not responding!

i havent play much then,but yes i had a crash and had to shut computer

but thats normal to me in 32b ,every time i cross the line

3DC is the best app anyway

nasdrovia!

moska

Applications > Utilities > Terminal

>cd /Applications/3D-Coat-V3-5 (or any other path where you’ve placed 3D-Coat)

>open 3D-Coat.app

Oh, and I forgot to ask everyone: does the Wacom tablets work in 3D-Coat 64-bit?

• Advanced Member

Hi SERGYI

Excellent work in any case

1. ctrl-cmd as in 32 bit 3dc

2. A jpg B&W same resolution as screen (OK solved, 3DC likes RGB for background, B&W was the problem)

3. Moska, drag and drop from finder to terminal window the app (the real exe app). right click on 3dc icon / show package contains - see attachment

4. 3dcoat 32 bit never crashed OSX here. I have to see OSX crashing many years.

(dual nehalem xeon, 12 gb ram, nvidia, (cuda drivers installed - testing new blender cycles engine)

Orthographic projection is another issue. Especially under retopo room

post-2454-0-75939300-1306758708_thumb.jp

UV Unwrap of models with previously marked seams is not working correctly. The unwrapping code seems to be ignoring some seams. I will test further and see if I can get a repro.

• Advanced Member
Oh, and I forgot to ask everyone: does the Wacom tablets work in 3D-Coat 64-bit?

It works fine for me.

We don't have to vote for cmd key. It should be as in the 32 bit build.

Macs have ctrl key alright, all 3d apps I know are using this.

thanks for the 64 bit update. sadly i wont be able to do any real work with it for a few more days at least, however i did streak through to check the wacom tablet ( as that was mentioned ) and for a 2 minute test, it worked well. thanks again for this update

• Advanced Member

Just a question, should we use mantis bug reporting for this?

I did some serious sculpting work meanwhile, I managed this cmd issue anyway.

Up to millions of faces, what a difference. Though, practically speaking, performance was slightly better than the 32 bit. It's the method wrong, you can't work to millions of voxels, you don't have to. Detailed sculpting, after retopo, please!

• Advanced Member

so far, no major "out of the ordinary" crashes. I'm really enjoying the speed of this build. And a ton of the Ui graphical bugs I still get with the 32bit builds are gone in this 64bit build

• Advanced Member
I'm really enjoying the speed of this build. And a ton of the Ui graphical bugs I still get with the 32bit builds are gone in this 64bit build

Me too, up to 10M and performance is great (voxels mode only)

Still the same old bugs though, orthographic projection gives an empty screen!, renderer still renders shaded non active layers (you have to turn it off first) , color picker when trying to setup a third render light hangs 3dc, trying to retopo at 8k hangs 3dc... who knows what else. All these deleted-fixed from mantis, now they're back. Nice.

One tip, when 3dc 64bit hangs, DON"T open activity monitor! It will probably crash OSX. Just force quit the app (right click on dock icon)

Here a 10M try, though it started in sculptris. A way to have some idea what we can do when UC will be implemented. Of course, tools behavior in sculpris (and zbrush) are much superior to the 3dc toolset (who listens, who can understand this?). I'm not alone on this.

ph3.jpg