3DCoat Forums

Vertex color import/export

vivi

• Advanced Member

hi guys..I was wondering how to import/export vertex colors. I am trying to export a vertex color painted mesh from 3dsMax into 3Dcoat.

I think the problem happens on export side though. When I check by re-importing my obj back into 3dsmax it doesn't contain vertex-colors anymore.

Maybe someone tried it before?

Vito

• Advanced Member

Try FBX or maybe STL. I can import LWO and FBX with vertex colors back into 3DC (painted and exported from 3DC).

when I try to import FBX into 3dcoat I get a crash!

Will Vertex Colors be exported automatically?

Do I need to check somethings in the exporter?

• Advanced Member

I get a crash also when importing an FBX into per pixel painting.

I think vertex color import/export is only available in the voxel room. That's where I was doing my tests.

You can try to import the vertex painted object into the voxel room, and bake it to per pixel painting.

• 4 years later...

Hello!

I have some issues when importing object with vertex colors (for per-vertex coloration) with fbx from 3ds max - all vertex colors is messed. Maybe any solution? I tryed defferent export options in 3ds max fbx exporter, but this does not help me... :(

bed820798acd988135605b26c3787e8d.png

efea4f48a58c1a6c52beea6c42b4580d.png

But if I open fbx saved in 3D-Coat - it openes correctly. So, it looks like VC data that 3ds max writes to fbx stores in different order...

can export a ply or stl ?

If you need to subdivide your vertex-coloured object, do it in your DCC application before importing it to 3D Coat. The reason behind this is that if you subdivide the object using the subdivide button in the Import tool, vertex attributes won't get interpolated but simply dropped.

1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

can export a ply or stl ?

From 3ds Max - no.

But I open this test fbx in Blender (vertex colors was alright) and then from it exported to ply and also to another fbx - and after importing them in 3d-coat (for vertex painting) I get just object without vertex coloration.

P.S.: Not very expirienced with Blender (maybe export settings was not correct, but looks like I`m done all right)

Update: Exported from Max to stl - but after importing into 3d-coat - object does not have vertex color.

Edited by MikeMS

• 3 years later...