3DCoat Forums

Trees generator

Andrew Shpagin

Looks good, but I see that quads are repeated like tiles 2x2.

Look at NPictPerBillboardX and NPictPerBillboardY. It should be equal 2

Yeah I know, I think I have to re-texture it. I'll try to make random rotations to the billboards and see if it looks better.

To make the billboards to face the camera in LW I have to make a pointcloud of the billboards from 3D Coat. Then I make one billboard that I clone to all the points.

Please re-download the package. It will allow to send bug-reports. Please write comment there. Then I will understand the problem better.

Hi Andrew,

I tried the new version and 3D-Trees isn't creating the bug.html file when it crashes. The crash occurs before the program even starts so maybe it can't initialize??? Firefox displays this- Firefox can't find the file at /C:/Program Files (x86)/3D-Coat-2-trees/Bugreport/bug.html.

Thanks,

Jon

Guest Lottmedia
Looks much better! How have you rendered billboards?

Auger, please re-download package, I have made some changes that may help.

Yes, please, coudl someone explain how to render the bilboards? I think I did it before with particles but I can't remember

Casey :)

Auger, please re-download package, I have made some changes that may help.

Sorry Andrew, that didn't do the trick. It gave a more detailed error message but it wouldn't create the bug report. I've attached an image of the error again.

Thanks for your help,

Jon

post-704-1208962092_thumb.jpg

Yeah I know, I think I have to re-texture it. I'll try to make random rotations to the billboards and see if it looks better.

To make the billboards to face the camera in LW I have to make a pointcloud of the billboards from 3D Coat. Then I make one billboard that I clone to all the points.

Ztreem,

Could you please explain on how you make a point cloud of the billboards and then make one billboard to clone to all the points in LW9.3? Sorry for the noob ques, but I'm new to the billboard scene and my 3DC Trees look awful in LW. Thanks so much...MG

I'll see if I can write a short tutorial when I have some spare time. This technique isn't that good if you want several trees or if you want to do an animation. So I'm trying to come up with an easy way to make leafs in LW that is better suited for animation and easier to handle.

Edit: If not Andrew update Tree generator to make leaves in another way, more like Xfrog does leaves.(Every leaf as a poly billboard that not needs to face the camera all the time.)

Ztreem,

So very kind of your offer! Sounds more complex than what I thought. I'd like to eventually use them in animation too. I'd hate for you to waste time on a tut before you figure out how to animate them.

I wonder how Andrew animates the leaves of the default tree at startup. It looks awesome!

Hope we can find an easier LW workflow soon...MG

Ztreem,

So very kind of your offer! Sounds more complex than what I thought. I'd like to eventually use them in animation too. I'd hate for you to waste time on a tut before you figure out how to animate them.

I wonder how Andrew animates the leaves of the default tree at startup. It looks awesome!

Hope we can find an easier LW workflow soon...MG

It's not that complicated, it's actually quite simple. It all depends of how much you know... It always nicer to follow a tutorial with some pics that explains the steps with a little more depth, that's why I was thinking of making one.

If you follow this link I have written down all the the steps.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.ph...3152&page=2" target="_blank">http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.ph...3152&page=2

Auger, thanks for testing. I have uploaded package again, now it has very deep checking and logging. Please download

www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-2-trees-dbg.exe

and send me log.txt and screen with bugreport if it will occur.

*edit: it seems that problem was solved, just re-download package by the link

www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-2-trees.exe

• Like 1

Guest Lottmedia

Anyone else have a problem with exporting in the new(er) vrsion? When I downloaded it first, the obj files would be in the folder it refrences, but since I redownloaded after Andrew updated it when I press export, it gives me the message but the folder is empty :( Where for is my tree?

OOps, there is a typo in that dialog, I wasn't seeing the /models folder but no objs there. there re texture files, but no objs or anything

Anyone else have a problem with exporting in the new(er) vrsion? When I downloaded it first, the obj files would be in the folder it refrences, but since I redownloaded after Andrew updated it when I press export, it gives me the message but the folder is empty :( Where for is my tree?

OOps, there is a typo in that dialog, I wasn't seeing the /models folder but no objs there. there re texture files, but no objs or anything

strange... Are you using Vista? If Vista, please use "Run as administrator"

When I save a tree as an obj and import it into Lightwave or 3D Coat, a lot of polygons are flipped the wrong way. Is this a setting I'm missing?

Thanks

Planes are placed randomly. If someone will tell how I can export it to LW so that leafs will look on camera, I will do thet. But it is possible that soon I will make possibility to export tree with many seperate leafs.

Planes are placed randomly. If someone will tell how I can export it to LW so that leafs will look on camera, I will do thet. But it is possible that soon I will make possibility to export tree with many seperate leafs.

There's not really any good way to make the leafs face the camera in LW, this more of a limitation on how LW works at the moment than a 3D Tree limitation. On the other hand billboard leaf that always face the camera doesn't look any good in animation, maybe works in games, but it looks unrealistic. So a polygon per leaf solution would be the best one.

I have re-uploaded the package. I have add the option to export with separate leafs. I think it is ideal solution for LW users.

I have no texture with 4 separate leafs, so now billboard with multiple leafs is used. If you have texture with 4 separete leafs, give it to me please.

WOW, you're fast. I'll try it tonight.

I think there should be a settings in LW to show flipped triangles correctly. But anyway, it is a bug, I will fix it.

Yes, in LW you can use the align command in modeler and it will flip all polys so they all face the same direction.

Guest Lottmedia

Andrew,

Could you start numbering the releases instead of replacing the old file? I'm getting confused as to which version I'm using :)

Casey \

PS, I ran as Admin and it works now, so either that or new version, Thanks:)

I have updated link once more, flipped triangles are fixed, leafs are slightly more randomized.

For better leafs quality please set "Double sided" in LW surface properties.

Thanks! it works perfect now.

Feature request: It would be nice if we could see all the separate leafs in 3D Tree and if we could have a setting for how many leaves it generates. It's nice with the two versions we have now but it would be even better with a slider in the leaf settings for the number of leaves.

now I get the OBJs exporting but no Textures now. When I open in LW there isn't even any textures on the objects.

Casey

Works fine for me, here's a test I just made. Objects straight in from 3D Tree into LW-Layout. I only added the clipmap to the leaves.

post-464-1209072274_thumb.jpg