3DCoat Forums
3DCNC

Importing Scanned mesh for sculpting and fixing.

Can someone tell me if all meshes imported into 3dcoat from scanning are always converted to voxels even if you only want to use the Live clay function? I was worried about detail loss if converted to voxels for sculpting.

When you import mesh check "Merge without voxelizing" checkbox in Merge tool options. Later if need to make a shell from it RMB on VoxTree and choose "Turn surface to shell".

That's it!

Thank you.

Can you also tell me if the size of the mesh (in mm) make a difference in performance of sculpting or is it only the amount of triangles/poly's in the mesh ?

I suppose what I am asking is should you scale a big model down (size in reality) before importing into 3d coat if the model was lets say 2 meters high in real scale?

Mark

When you import your model into the voxel room, you can size and scale it before you merge. Then when you merge the mesh to the surface mode (Merge without voxelizing) 3DC will ask if you want to preserve the initial size and scale for export later. Click yes and when you export, 3DC should resize it back to the original scale.

The scale of a mesh in surface mode should not effect performance. Keeping objects roughly within the boundary of the grid might be a good idea from a navigation standpoint.