3DCoat Forums

3DArtist's Mixamo Fantasy War Character Contest WIP

3DArtist

• Advanced Member

I need the practice and critique so as the topic states, this is my contest wip thread.

A little back story to help character development:

He is an archer for hire to protect farmers and herders and their familys, crops and animals from creatures that roam about.

Fur coverings and dark clothing help camouflage him and keep him warm at night. He has an array of arrow types, one of which is wrapped in fur and dipped in a bioluminescent mixture, that when it hits a target it sprays the mixture on the animal making it more visible and easier to hunt at night.

The character base was created with the curves tool.

post-631-0-39575900-1342148427_thumb.jpgpost-631-0-98054400-1342148435_thumb.jpgpost-631-0-45292200-1342148443_thumb.jpg

I did a quick paint-over in 3DC to try to get some ideas for clothing and gear.

post-631-0-78259600-1342148823_thumb.jpg

Current progress:

Trying out some clothing created in Marvelous Designer. Probably use it as a base for sculpting additional detail.

Fur progress:

post-631-0-99739100-1342151861_thumb.jpg

I hope to continue making progress on this but I (my wife) am expecting kid #2 any week (or day) which could put this on hold. :scare:

Thanks for reading!

Side note: For those with an iPad (and soon Android, Mac and PC), the l'Ecorche Classical Anatomy for Artists app might be of interest. imho it's nice to have on a tablet so it doesn't take up screen space and you can just use your fingers to navigate.

• Reputable Contributor

The model is looking great, I really like your style of bow. The best of luck to you. A thousand dollars will buy a bunch of diapers for the new baby that is coming.... :D

I have 5 kids, grown up and have left the nest but as they even say, You will always be our Daddy... :)

• Advanced Member

Nice work! I like your black dressed archer.

Some designers always put a lot of details and colors on their creations.

I think that, sometimes, simple but solid shapes + few colors can give amazing results.

Keep on the good work!

• Advanced Member

Garagarape: Thanks! I haven't put too much thought yet to color, but it probably will be simple dark colors. Especially since his goal is to remain hidden. :ph34r:

Another update:

Starting to add straps, buckles, armor...

• Advanced Member

chris_solo & Kargall: Thanks!

Garagarape: Yes, I forgot to hide the arrow for that render. Now they are more believable :)

More wrinkles and detail for the clothing is definitely on the to do list and the hat was inspired by the Dunkleosteus.

Dunkleosteus_skull_QM_email.jpg

LkSMangako: Thanks! I plan on retopoing within the 15k tris limit, otherwise it's over 6 mil tris. (though in the turntable renders I forget to restore several of the downgraded layers)

• Advanced Member

Wow! This fish fossil looks like metal made.

Good work on the archer. It's coming along nicely.

The asymmetrical feel gives him a great taste.

The arrows are may be a little too much "tidy" but that's not the big deal

(I mean they are all reaching the same height in the quiver, while the archer walks they should

get a more random position).

Keep on the good work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

L'Ancien Regime, pixo, fleeting time : Thanks!

Garagarape: Thanks! I moved the arrows around more to look more natural. The bow and arrows are coming up on my list to sculpt.

I think I'm about ready to retopo after I finish a few more objects and details.

Update:

post-631-0-55539800-1344025158_thumb.jpg