3DCoat Forums

Free HardSurface Brush

artman

• Contributor

Here is my Hardsurface brush....its a simple brush,but it took me many months to perfect it.

Problem is there was always some noise when turning corners or jumps when strokes overlap at some points...

Previously,I made much more "complex" looking HS brushes than this one using "sharp" old style options

but there was always some cleanup,smoothing ect... needed afterward to correct the small imperfections....

and I didn't want any of that.

This one,altough less intricate than my previous attempts, does not require any cleanup and is very fast and smooth to use.

Try it on 200k sphere at first for best results.

post-1195-0-19547800-1343744253_thumb.jp

Here how to install:

1)Load Hardsurface.psd in Strips tab

2)Load artman's HardSurface in Presets tab (you can make it pop from Windows>Popups menu)

3)In "extrusions direction" roll out menu at the top of screen select Initial Vertex Normal (Very important)

(you will have to reselect that mode each time you restart 3DC and use that brush)

artman's HardSurface brush.zip

It's a non-additive brush made for greebling,you can overlap and bridge strokes seamlessly

so of course,since its based on initial topology such a brush can only exist in Surface mode,where polycount is fixed.

It you want to reset initial vertex state to do a secondary greebling pass just switch to any LC brush then reselect the Preset,

it will reset initial vertex state to include your previous greebling pass.

Alternatively,you can also use Resample or switch back to voxel then back to SF mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor

I like "absolute"...since it is based on the absolute state of your mesh when entering SF mode...its not that bad of a name.

Of course there is already voxlayer tool and voxtree volumes are also called...layers...so that makes a lot of layerthing...

Please try it and post a pic here ...I want to see what kind of greeble you can get with your crazy rig. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

i get a lot of crashes when using your presets.

e.g. if i switch between the tools (move and clay)

Yeah it is a known issue,I and BeatKitano are also having those...this is why Im not making any tutorial with those presets yet.

Andrew is working on it but he is not able to reproduce.. :(They work fine on his side..

I think it would be interesting to see what we have in common that he doesn't have...that would maybe point in a good direction..

What is your config?

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

actually it is more like a (loading) freeze, because sometimes, when im patient it will work again till it freeze another time , its like a big lag. happens randomly with both versions ( cuda)

do you mean the system specs, with config, artman?

btw i have to test latest version, if problem persists

• Contributor

actually it is more like a (loading) freeze, because sometimes, when im patient it will work again till it freeze another time , its like a big lag. happens randomly with both versions ( cuda)

do you mean the system specs, with config, artman?

btw i have to test latest version, if problem persists

no need to test, problem persist in latest version

yes,I mean systems specs...os,graphic card ect...

• Contributor

CHinchong: what you're describing is exactly what I'm experiencing. I'm kind of relieved actually because I thought it was related to some software installed on my machine causing problems :)

Since this is not a particular case, we can expect to finaly get to the bottom of it.