3DCoat Forums

Liveclay speed sculpts

artman

• Contributor

I'll be posting all my speed sculpts,coffee doodles and the like here...

Here is first video of many more to come(just a quick upload test):

I really didn't care about the sculpt...I was more testing capture software performance framerate drawback here and see also if I could encode and upload videos to youtube...

Screen capture is still sucking 10-25% framerate but since I am only gonna do busts and crap like that its not that important...

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the speed sculpts videos...

When you start out with a base sphere, what is your polygon count in surface mode?. I normally start with a surface mode sphere at around 60,000 polygons. It's fast and furious at that low of polygon count for building out major form :D

Also thanks for informing users on the power of creating your own presets brushes...

• Contributor

Thanks for the speed sculpts videos...

When you start out with a base sphere, what is your polygon count in surface mode?. I normally start with a surface mode sphere at around 60,000 polygons. It's fast and furious at that low of polygon count for building out major form :D

Also thanks for informing users on the power of creating your own presets brushes...

me too,60k if Im gonna make a head ...but when making full upper body I like starting lower like 10k...

Sometimes I will also jump right at the start at 200k and use proxy mode for the lower MUD2 brush pass...

Anyway,LC is really flexible.,,,

• Contributor

Very nice work artman, I really enjoyed the first video.

The second is blocked by EMI... what can I say... gmgmgmgmg

Thanx for telling me,I wasn't aware of that...I'll use music from another solar system in next videos,they won't be able to do anything :D ...

• Contributor

Amazing work artman, I really enjoyed the sculpting session and music! :)

Just out of curiosity, why you don't use remove stretching?How it affects the modeling process?

Thanks

Thanks!

I use "remove stretching"...with MUD2 sometimes in early stage(MUD2 with o% noise is really the best clay brush out there)

or also with Move brush...I think it works best with Move brush because Move brush does not rely on "strokes" so the slightly noticeable performance pop and detail resampling that occur at the end of each strokes is less a problem when using Move tool...but as far as laying out details my LC brushes give me better result ..

The buildclay brush setting I use does not add up useless polys like most LC brushes...it just create topology where needed,just like when "Remove stretching" is on...sometimes it does even reduce the polycount...really adaptive to the underlying form .

Also Remove stretching mess up symmetry a little while my LC brushes dont seem to.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Thanks for your response artman.

Question: Your problems with brush presets is resolved?

Because to me the problem continues. Any tips?

3d-coat 3.7.16A (DX) with cuda enable

windows 7 - 64bits

Nvidia last drive installed.

No,problems started again...I got much bigger freezes this time,I even need to restart my computer sometimes.

I reopened the Mantis issue,Andrew will probably solve this at some point in one of his bugsquashing frenzies....

For a while (it didn't last :( )I added Hotkeys to the brushes and I had no freezes while switching using the Hotkeys.. so meanwhile you can maybe try that.

• Advanced Member

Hey Artman,

I like the first movie. Interesting how you use the preset panel to replace the tool palette. I have been thinking about doing the same after finding out you cant put presets on the tool palette itself (nor on the quick acces bar).

I'm sort of rediscovering 3D-Coat after leaving it alone for a while (Raul's departure to Cuba and the dying of of any liveclay development did not help). I have a question for you if you don't mind. I was wondering wether there is any difference in Rapid2 and Mud2 with the noise turned to zero?

You are correct in that its the closest thing 3D-Coat has when it comes to a true clay brush (its pretty nice actually; just lacking in options such as inbed) but I can find no differences between these two brushes with noise set to zero. Is there something the mud2 does that makes you prefer it over rapid2?

3dioot

• Contributor

I don't see any difference either...I guess I just got used to MUD2...

I don't think "its the closest thing 3D-Coat has when it comes to a true clay brush",I think its THE best Clay brush,period.

And I tried them all....

It has a greater feel than Zb clay/clay tube or Sculptris Clay mode or Mudbox mud brush....again its only my opinion there.

I don't care for inbed or any other special settings ...just like when I work with Super Sculpey...the clay is there,I just need to sculpt.

I just noticed I achieve better happy accidents ratio with that clay brush than those of other packages....

And as for Liveclay I think it is nothing but dead and I might add that at this point IMO

it does not require more devellopment but mostly more SHOWCASING...

The thing is 90% of Liveclay brushes gives poor result/ or/and peformance if used as default

or even if parameters like details and such are tweaked...

And personally I never was able to get one decent brush out of the general brush...

LC brushes are tricky to find good settings...but I accidently found 2 good ones using a tweaked Buildclay brush...

I use them to do wrinkles,folds,global form and blocking out,sharp creases...well...pretty much everything I can imagine

with those 2 Liveclay brushes +MUD2 brushes I really can do anything..effortlessly,with much lower polycounts.

You can find the presets here... there you can also see what Beatkitano did with those in like 10 minutes...

http://3d-coat.com/f...showtopic=10117

for the Hardsurface preset you need to download the Stripe from here:

http://3d-coat.com/f...t=0

Be careful tough,there is an issue right now when switching presets 3DCoat might freeze,it is a known issue and Andrew will solve this.

• Advanced Member

"I don't see any difference either...I guess I just got used to MUD2..."

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me.

"I don't think "its the closest thing 3D-Coat has when it comes to a true clay brush",I think its THE best Clay brush,period."

I have played some more with it and it feels really nice I agree. It feels predictable and smooth. :)

"And as for Liveclay I think it is nothing but dead and I might add that at this point IMO

it does not require more devellopment but mostly more SHOWCASING..."

I have some trouble understanding what you are trying to say here? I personally feel it needs a lot of work and has not even come out of the child stage yet. :(

"The thing is 90% of Liveclay brushes gives poor result/ or/and peformance if used as default

or even if parameters like details and such are tweaked...

And personally I never was able to get one decent brush out of the general brush..."

I have to agree. I spend some hours playing with the interface and the global brush last weekend and I just could not get brushes I was satisfied with. I found the performance very poor. Strangely enough after disabling pretty much every option I could think of that would influence performance (even the dynamic tesselation) they still behaved very poor performance wise. I put a question about this in the brush optimization thread.

Thankyou for the brush presets. I really like the three "sample" heads in that thread also. Great job. In my heart I am still hoping I can use 3D-Coat as a Sculptris ++. Maybe these presets will help. I also noticed the behaviour with the build brush as far as dynamic tesselation. It almost behaves more like a voxel brush in that it keeps the res uniform in space. Very surprising to see this behaviour compared with the other liveclay tools.

Ill go play some more with it. I have to push myself to do something a little more substantial then blobby spheres in 3D-Coat but im honestly worried to just get more dissapointed.

ah well.. /me blows dust of 3D-Coat

Thanks for the indepth reply Artman! :)

3dioot

• Contributor

I have some trouble understanding what you are trying to say here? I personally feel it needs a lot of work and has not even come out of the child stage yet. :(

What I mean is... since I can now do anything as freely as if I was using real Clay...then I don't need anything more.

I jsut need to sculpt...and I need tons of free time...as far as brush behaviors or detail levels...well, I deeply tested my presets and I get the results I want...I mean I don't fight with any brushes and I get my details done using 300k-500k.

I use ADD res and REduce a lot along with Tangent Smooth...I also sometime activate "realtime detection" of the merge/repel parameter in Buildclay...this way I get the merging effect that is sometimes needed from Voxel mode...

Understand me,I'm sure LC will undergo changes and improvements and Im not saying it does not need any but at this stage I really just need to sculpt...I find sometimes getting involved in devellopment is just disguised way for me to procrastinate in order to avoid sculpting..

Thankyou for the brush presets. I really like the three "sample" heads in that thread also. Great job. In my heart I am still hoping I can use 3D-Coat as a Sculptris ++. Maybe these presets will help. I also noticed the behaviour with the build brush as far as dynamic tesselation. It almost behaves more like a voxel brush in that it keeps the res uniform in space. Very surprising to see this behaviour compared with the other liveclay tools.

The thing is.. if you try buildclay with "older" default pressure mode Radius/depth=pressure you will notice that if you use the sharp alpha for example the resulting stroke looks like crap

....but if you set E-mode to depth=pressure only you then get the nicest ,smootest adaptive tesselation stroke you can wish for...

much better than Sculptris because at 0.65 detail it does not add useless tesselation it just gives the stroke the perfect needed topology for the used radius.

Andrew changed the default because obviously depth only=pressure makes brushes perform faster

...but by doing so it accidently showed how buildclay brush is a very powerful LC brush.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I cannot believe it! This feels so good. Im glad you are honest about how you found out about this brush because Im almost embaressed. I wanted exposed options and presets exactly for this but I really don't know if I would have figured this out by myself. Thankyou very much. I did manage to make it crash within seconds though but I'll live through that. :rofl:

".I find sometimes getting involved in devellopment is just disguised way for me to procrastinate in order to avoid sculpting.."

I hear and feel you on that one. It was one of the reasons I like(d) sculptris so much. No distractions to cling onto. Clean tools, ok performance > go! I am guilty of this excuse. Also I understand what you meant now I know the context.

Hey man, Im gonna keep it short cause its late here just wanted to throw in a quick thanks! If I dont run into any sudden surprises and I can interchange sculptris for the more powerful 3D-Coat I will be a very happy chap indeed. :D

3dioot

• Contributor

I cannot believe it! This feels so good. Im glad you are honest about how you found out about this brush because Im almost embaressed. I wanted exposed options and presets exactly for this but I really don't know if I would have figured this out by myself. Thankyou very much. I did manage to make it crash within seconds though but I'll live through that. :rofl:

Yeah,next build will have massive bug fixes...hope it will help.

If next build does not help... don't forget to Mantis your crashes with reproducable steps if you can.

Or message me and I will try to reproduce.

See Ya!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Another nice speed sculpt here showing the power of the brushes with good settings...

The LC General Brush, I have developed several good brushes based off this brush using the available settings that are included with it. I use them extensively when building the sculpture...