3DCoat Forums

what is correct vector displacment settings for Zbrush to Coat ?

kirkl

• Advanced Member

Fwiw... nobody in that thread you link to gave any answer on how to transfer Vector-Displacement to 3DCoat.

At least in such a way that it stays vector-displacement.

So that one could use the fabulous fiber-feature for instant together with mesh-replacement (micromesh)

in order to create highly intricate surface-structures (say Grass and different sorts of flowers) and then transfer all this over to 3DC as a single low polygon-mesh.

3DC had to be able to interpret the VecDisplacement (using Zbush Diagnose-File to set things up) and to display it it in all of its glory so that one could edit every channel but the displacement itself.

Last step was exporting to output-package with the unchanged vec-displacement-file and a set of colour/spec/etc-maps.

Of course this was way cool but I doubt that this currently is possible.

• Reputable Contributor

There is a EXR import under the textures menu in the paint room. How well this will import the EXR file zbrush displacement. I do not know because I do not user exr files at this time.

3DCoat also might do some kind of internal conversion upon import and then import that out as a exr file. You will just have to test to find out...

You can also export as an EXR file under the same textures menu.

Picture included...

post-518-0-16556100-1344410705_thumb.png

• Advanced Member

it's exactly what i tried . I imported Zbrush vector displacement exr as textures>import>import depth layer in 3d coat and get a weird mess. Perhaps I should set something differently in Zbrush?

You can not use a vector-displacement-map as a depth-layer.Vector-Displacement is totally different from normal displacement.

If at all only importing as vector-displacement-map in Microvertex-Painting seems to make some sense. But if I only try this with the Zbrush-Setup-Maps 3DCoat runs out of memory, on my Laptop at least.

Going to try this again on 64 Bit later today.

• Advanced Member

Hmm... I got so far to import the Zbrush diagonostic file and to get a perfect result with a multiplier of 7 (baseball-shape is supposed to

get a sphere). I dialed in the "7" in Zbrush's export-settings but trying with real Geometry I did not get a good match yet.

post-575-0-70773200-1344454440_thumb.jpg