3DCoat Forums

autoload presets?

3dioot

• Contributor

About the preset lag issue: I can't even give you a hint :/

It happens randomly, my guess would be that there's a cache/temp file or something writting to disk that slow down the process. I deactivated autosave, checked the undo files generation to see if something was done during the freeze. Nothing showed up. Of course I also tried removing every files in user folder, nothing helped.

The only thing I can tell you is that as soon as you use hotkeys on multiple preset it will happen.

I currently removed all shortcuts and use toolbar brushes hotkeys with the "remember own settings for each brush" activated since toolbar shortcut aren't affected.

As soon as I associate even one shortcut to preset and call it I can encounter a freeze which last 20-30 seconds... and sometime simply freeze definitively the software.

Another problem I also face: switching rooms I lose my shortcuts.

I associated a custom brush to "e" (which is e panel shortcut), I obviously removed the e panel shortcut, saved my shortcut file. And it doesn't matter, as soon as I change rooms (sometimes even alt-tabbing the software !) I get my shortcuts + the default one activated as toggles.

I call my brush: I get it, I use another shortcut, go back to the previous brush: bam e panel popups.

Simple: if shortcut association is not loaded when clicking on a room tab: default shortcut in effect.

So when switching between room you get the associated shortcuts in that room from the hotkey file + the defaults shortcuts that aren't in the file...

You need to save all shortcuts in the room. And overwrite the variable when loading the room.

• Contributor

Options_Hotkeys.xml file is fighting my custom Hotkeys.hotkeys file. You have to decide on one of those and only load/save on it, that can't work cleanly and predictably otherwise.

Since this is now located inside the user folder (for UAC reason I suspect) I suggest you don't even ask where to save the custom file and always write there. Users can now backup that file if needed. Or you go the zbrush road: you allow custom hotkey file but always overwrite the startup hotkey file with the content of that file. Anyway this needs simplification.

Hotkeys.hotkeys:

<OneHotKey>

<ID>[Page4]BuildClay</ID>

<Code>E</Code>

<Ctrl>false</Ctrl>

<Alt>false</Alt>

<Shift>false</Shift>

</OneHotKey>

Options_Hotkeys.xml:

<OneHotKey>

<ID>ID_PENOPS</ID>

<Code>E</Code>

<Ctrl>false</Ctrl>

<Alt>false</Alt>

<Shift>false</Shift>

</OneHotKey>

• Advanced Member

What I really don't understand - when someone bought software has he bought the right to tell with total disrespect? Why peoples allow such tone? I am human too, I am not coding robot. Why can't we solve problems in peaceful way? Very pity.

Also, regarding "promise" - I was not promising, I was just doing what I can, probably you "expected" or it was looking "promising".

Andrew is adressing me Batkitano.

No it does not give the right to tell with total disrespect. You are right and its not my intention to make you feel bad. While I dont think I am alone in my complaints many users are happy to use 3D-Coat for painting and retopo, both area's which seem (at first glance at least) to be much more mature then the sculpting room.

If I would have bought it for that my expectations would probably have been met. But I did not. I bought it with expectations (yes there they are!) for sculpting. I considered going back to the original v3.0 thread to show you promises you made in the height of excitement that only now, four years later, are being worked on. But I think it would be a waste of both your and my time to do so. Instead lets keep it a little more general.

I did make the mistake to buy the software based on expectations of it maturing. Those were partly promises by you (some of which you are starting to fullfil four years later) and partly, what I considered at the time, to be common sense things. Yes this does bother me. I was naive in my expectations and you were probably not realizing how literally I was taking some of your words at the time.

"Yes I will work on that" implies to me achieving a finished state on that subject and a certain level of quality. In hindsight this was completely arbitrary of course. :)

Should I give you less flack over this? Yes I probably should. I should have known better. With software you buy the version thats released and nothing more. Since my purchase I have seen 3D-Coats development for a few years and I know what to expect now. Yes I find it dissapointing to find so many flaws with something as basic as presets (alpha/beta or otherwise). I am sad its a "next release" feature. For that Im not going to apologize.

Not much to add I think. I have used Mantis. I understand how this is easiest for everyone involved.

And yes I do feel voxel sculpting got never finished and brought to the state it should have. Thats an opinion and an expectation all wrapped into one. I also do see liveclay as the way out. I expected Pilgway to finish it. Did I purchase liveclay allready? Nope. But I do see it as bringing (some of) the functionality and smoothness I was expecting out of voxels. Am I entitled to it? Nope, thats why I will pay for the upgrade when/if stuff gets done. :)

3dioot

3dioot, at least om my memory at some point I was not able to follow your recommendations because of technical limitations. Other problem was that sometimes I was loosing point. Most productive way is making clear propose how tool should work, not general idea. Patience + reminding rarely is most resultative way. In so way very productive cooperation is possible. Also, due to nature of development I can't focus too long on requests or ideas because I need to choose between many requests and also perform bugfixing sessions.

• Advanced Member

3dioot, at least om my memory at some point I was not able to follow your recommendations because of technical limitation. Other problem was that sometimes I was loosing point. Most productive way is making clear propose how tool should work, not general idea. In so way very productive cooperation is possible. Also, due to nature of development I can't focus too long on requests or ideas because I need to choose between many requests and also perform bugfixing sessions.

I understand. I never said I knew everything. I cant write code so I'm certain there are technical limitations I am not aware of. What I suggested for voxels at the time (resolution limited to brush size) is essentially how liveclay works. Perhaps that principle could never have been applied to voxels. Who knows.

With that said, when I said that I did not consider voxel sculpting finished, I did not mean I would only consider it finished if that tech (or similair) would have been implemented.

We''ll see how it all goes in the end with liveclay. I think its much easier with that technology to provide a solid sculpting experience than with voxels.

For now I can only be impressed by the vigor in which you attack the preset problems. ;)

Ill make certain to use Mantis and be throrough in my feedback (as I pretty much always was).

3dioot

BeatKitano,

3D-Coat does not use your custom hotkeys until you will not load it explicitly Edit->Load hotkeys. After loading it replaces own hotkeys with your ones. But replacing some hotkeys may be difficult - like 'E'. If you have assigned action in one room but this action does not exist in other room then old action will be used and inserted in hotkeys list and it will not be removed from the list when you will get back to the room where action exists.

If several different actions take same hotkey then they will stacked and activated after each other.

• Contributor

BeatKitano,

3D-Coat does not use your custom hotkeys until you will not load it explicitly Edit->Load hotkeys. After loading it replaces own hotkeys with your ones. But replacing some hotkeys may be difficult - like 'E'. If you have assigned action in one room but this action does not exist in other room then old action will be used and inserted in hotkeys list and it will not be removed from the list when you will get back to the room where action exists.

If several different actions take same hotkey then they will stacked and activated after each other.

That's exactly the issue. It shouldn't do that. What it should do is save a snapshot of every functions that can be accessed by a shortcut to this file, per room. Even function without accessed shortcuts !

Or save every shortcut changes to this file ! Not two files fighting to know who gets priority over who. We should not have to manualy load a file per room every time we switch to another room, it's a design aberation.

Because right now like you say, if you switch rooms you get conflicts.

I know I can manualy change the associations in options_hotkeys.xml, but from an user perspective it's unnaceptable.

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew, may I offer a suggestion, when all the features for version 4 have been added could you have some form of organized way testing for the RC of version 4.

We have an open beta and bug reporting is as we come across bugs in our daily use of 3DCoat. This works ok over the long course of development between versions, though at times some bugs do not get reported, Not everyone who comes across a bug desires the job of bug reporting. So bugs can be increasing in the software without your knowledge of them.

At times myself, I have to take a bug reporting break, It gets a lot of energy, effort and good reporting for you to have enough information to fix them so I end up of living with a minor to major bug for a few versions. This creates a problem though for any users or new users who come across the same bug.

There is one now that makes the airbrush in MV mode useless for sculpting depth... That is a major bug not reported in Mantis, though I did state about it in the updates thread with a picture...

What I mean by organized is something just simply asking this week, please put the voxel room to the test... I know this is open beta but I think a number of users here would not mind a request like that... I believe this would help to clean up 3DCoat for the release of version 4, Remember this request is when all development features have been added and you are in the clean up stage for the release of Version 4.

I would like to state you have fixed 97% of the bugs I have reported with enough detail for you to reproduce. The few you have not fixed, I believe is just that you did not understand my wording. That is the reason I have switched to videos instead plus I will be posting bugs reports again on Mantis soon...

• Contributor

What I mean by organized is something just simply asking this week, please put the voxel room to the test... I know this is open beta but I think a number of users here would not mind a request like that... I believe this would help to clean up 3DCoat for the release of version 4...

I suggested something along those lines a few weeks ago: Make a poll what should be fixed first: Andrew concentrate on bugfixing this side of the app. With your suggestion bug fixing would have a real visible impact !

I suggested something along those lines a few weeks ago: Make a poll what should be fixed first: Andrew concentrate on bugfixing this side of the app. With your suggestion bug fixing would have a real visible impact !

Bug reporting Pool - Start up time !! :D

What should be fixed first ?

Please add your suggestion to make a pool for the bug fixing list votation.

TY !

Bug reporting Pool - Start up time !! :D

What should be fixed first ?

Please add your suggestion to make a pool for the bug fixing list votation.

TY !

Just post +1 to bugreports/features in mantis that you really feel should be fixed/done. I will pay attention to this. Like backface culling that is just 5 min to do. Or presets problems. Or anything else. Of course I am paing attention to major problems first.