3DCoat Forums

Preview Jpeg images work for you ?

David Tailliez

• Contributor

Andrew's probably using gdi32.dll for screengrabing the window at save time, it can't grab ogl as it's not at the same level as windows rendering api.

Btw, is there a real reason to use ogl version on windows ? There's more bugs and the performances are subpar compared to dx version (whatever your card is) contrary to what the installation choice menu says...

I honestly wouldn't be against removing ogl version for 4.x as this would be easier for bug reports and maintenance of the program, since we see a lot of complaint from ogl users... (on windows ofc)

Btw this is a bit freaky to think that the program may be leaning against a crumbling wall at few places, the win32 system is a gonner in about 3-5 years time (the next windows after windows blue's out). Any app using it right now will need a major rewrite when that happens.

Pixologic already started to move to the 64bits system to avoid this situation for instance.

• Contributor

Ogl version also tends to give dirty strokes... it may appear faster (and sometimes it really is) but the stroke quality in voxel room is definitely worse than directx.

On a personal note I can't work with ogl for a simple reason: shadow bug.

Activate shadow in the viewport, and on some shaders it gets the infamous cut out effect anf this is also true in render room. I can't properly evaluate my shapes without being able to visualize shadows/hillights.

It may look like nitpicking to some, problem is ogl version is full of little bugs like that, which are not present in directx...

Ogl version also tends to give dirty strokes... it may appear faster (and sometimes it really is) but the stroke quality in voxel room is definitely worse than directx.

On a personal note I can't work with ogl for a simple reason: shadow bug.

Activate shadow in the viewport, and on some shaders it gets the infamous cut out effect anf this is also true in render room. I can't properly evaluate my shapes without being able to visualize shadows/hillights.

It may look like nitpicking to some, problem is ogl version is full of little bugs like that, which are not present in directx...

I'll try directx version again, just to see and compare (my last test was made on the 3.5 release) :)

Posted a bug report at Mantis #0000667.

Thanks Digman ;)

• 3 weeks later...