3DCoat Forums

depth maps always 'carve into' height map

damocles

Hi, I'm new to 3D Coat, and although I'm loving it so far, I've hit an issue I can't seem to find a way around.

I created a material form a separate diffuse and depth textures, and they work great except for the depth painting. No matter what I do, areas 'outside' of the parts carve into (reduce) the depth when I don't want them to. Here's a pic to explain:

9JKJ4.jpg

On the left is with material overlay, and on the right is without. Both are in relief mode.

Notice how outside of the circular grate the depth map is being reduced over the areas I have painted in.

The depth texture has no depth info in these areas - I'm using a transparent PNG. I have also tried using non-transparent and having black there instead. I also tried mid-point grey too. They all give the same result - they carve into the depth map when what I want to happen is only the non-black, non-transparent areas of the depth map should be used, and they should be raising the depth.

How can I achieve this?

• Reputable Contributor

Load your png file with a black background as a mask not a material for the depth painting and you hand paint on the mask as well.

Not sure why the material is reducing the depth with a mid-grey background. Normally that works for alphas brushes but seems not to work with materials. Something Andrew will need to look at... for both mid-grey or transparent backgrounds.

Also it always good to mention what version you are using and whether you are in the paintroom using per-pixel or micro-vertex mode. I took for granted you were in the paintroom as you said you were "painting depth"

It really helps otherwise our answers are just guessing at your problem. The more information that you give the faster problems can be solved or if you have discovered a bug...

The picture is just a quick example of using a mask with a black background...

post-518-0-76198200-1348162444_thumb.jpe

Ah yes, my bad. I was indeed in the paint room, using per-pixel painting.

So, next question - is there any way to lock/link the scale/rotation of a mask to the scale/rotation of a material?

Also, you mention Andrew will need to look at the mid-grey/alpha issue, is that something I need to mention in one of the support forums, or on a bug tracker perhaps? Or have you already raised it with him?

• Reputable Contributor

No way to link that I know of but someone might know a way...

For bug reporting it's best to use Mantis...

Sign up and fill out a bug report, be sure to give enough information so Andrew can reproduce the problem...

http://3d-coat.com/m...y_view_page.php