3DCoat Forums

3DC Point Cloud and Sketchfab

philnolan3d

I was trying out this website called Sketchfab which is, in their words, like YouTube for 3D models. I noticed in their supported file formats they have .3DC (3DC Point Cloud). Anyone know what that is? It doesn't seems to be related to 3D-Coat.

Here's a 3D-Coat model I uploaded.

http://skfb.ly/l3he0a

They also have embed codes but it doesn't work here in the forum.

Edit: Embedding fixed now! Thanks Webmaster!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Can someone explain how to upload a model with texture from 3dcoat to sketchfab? I am trying to use directpaint and then export the object and the texture. The texture is a black jpeg, i don't get it.

I have been trying this for months and it never succeeds. I seem to be the only one having trouble with this? Exporting to sketchfab or shapeways is impossible for me.

i was reading the format supported

http://sketchfab.com/faq

and they have exporters for 3dmax, maya, blender, solid works and sketch up... are you using any of this programs ?

and last

which format are you using for export ?

any export format used needs uv channels

• Advanced Member

O, but to make UV i need to retopo? It is impossible to retopo complex things like fractals.

And i dont understand why i need to retopo.

If i see a painted sculpture on my screen, why do i have to do very complex things to see the same

In another application? It looks like I will never solve this techno mysterie.

• Contributor

The "blocky" look is your choice, with nowaday computing resources you can get a result so close to high poly with clever retopo you won't be able to distinguish between the two without extreme close-up.

I think your reference to "clever retopo" means 'painting' areas that need more subdivision? I ask because I have plans for using that function when I retopo the rough edge of a wall.