3DCoat Forums

retopo - Import a hi poly mesh after autotopo?

damocles

Is there any way after I run autotopo on a high poly mesh to then import that mesh again as a reference mesh?

Autotopo is good, but fails to capture a lot of finer details or awkward angles, and the resulting vox mesh after autotopo is a bit too smoothed to really work with - it loses the fine details. I would liek to be able to autotopo, then delete the bad parts and retopo them by hand.

I tried saving the retopo state, then loading it in after importing the ref mesh, bit for some odd reason the retopo geomtry was much smaller than the ref mesh, and I couldn't find any way to scale to up.

So is it possible to load a new reference mesh after an autotopo?

Oh, and bonus question - has the retopo room extrude tool been dropped? I saw it in a tutorial video and though it looked really useful, but I can't find it in the toolbar or menus.

• Reputable Contributor

Your workflow is somewhat unclear. A more detail account always helps as there are a few ways to run autotopo on a high polygon mesh. I do not know which method you used, so the below might be what you asking for...

If you want to load the mesh without losing details in the voxel room, switch to surface model by clicking on the "V" in the voxtree tab. Surface mode is true polygons and not voxels.

Then use the merge tool there. No need to subdivide the mesh if it is high polygon already.

Run the autotopo from the voxtree tab... I would suggest using with edge loops.

If you have not seen this video it would be good to watch... Watch Part 2...

http://3d-coat.com/f...?showtopic=8549

Both the regular extrude, new Normal and Free extrude are still there in Linux 3.7.18F.

You might not be selecting the the proper item in the top interface, (vertices,edges, faces) Depending upon which one you select the tools in the sidebar panel will appear.

Whenever you need to increase the size of a retopo mesh use the Transform tool in the sidebar... Select the polygons first...

If you want to save a retopo mesh as a retopo base to use for a reference mesh just export the mesh as a obj file under the retopo menu / export.

Once you are done importing your reference object in the paintroom, import your retopo mesh under the retopo menu/import in the retopo room.

Hope this helps some...

Ah, thanks Digman that helps a lot. I didn't realize that you could A) load in poly meshes into the vox room, or B) start an autotopo from the vox room meshes. This makes it a lot easier to work with. Before I was using 'import mesh for autotopo' from the file menu, which was making a smoothed vox mesh with less detail.