3DCoat Forums

Hey ! I got a style! Thanks, I guess its a cartoony/realist sort of thing. I think it comes from my shortcomings in each of the processes! I'm useless at painting in any shape or form so I just rush through it in a couple of hours,so it ends up a bit primary colours.

Thanks,I've been trying to re-pose her because I feel she is a little too upright and I wanted to curve the spine a bit so I tried the update retopo option but it was so processor intensive it just wouldnt work.Then I tried bones in Carrara but that was also a disaster.The other option would be to re-sculpt using the pose tool but it took me nearly 2 days to retopo the first time!! Maybe I will have another look at Autopo,and manually do the bits it gets wrong.

I believe you can go to voxels and use the pose tool without losing your topology. Not having done it myself, I think you can snap your mesh to the new pose.

If you actually move a limb way out of its retopology, it just explodes! I think the snap thing is for sculpting undulations that are on the surface.On another note I found out you can export an FBX obj with painted voxels. I managed to open it in Carrara,but unfortuanatly it does not seem to support vertex colours,which is a pity.Though I think the higher end 3d software does.....which I havent got..... As always there is something blocking my path just to do what I want to do.Now if 3dcoat had a better lighting system...and Hair I would be sorted.

If you actually move a limb way out of its retopology, it just explodes! I think the snap thing is for sculpting undulations that are on the surface.On another note I found out you can export an FBX obj with painted voxels. I managed to open it in Carrara,but unfortuanatly it does not seem to support vertex colours,which is a pity.Though I think the higher end 3d software does.....which I havent got..... As always there is something blocking my path just to do what I want to do.Now if 3dcoat had a better lighting system...and Hair I would be sorted.

Would this help any?

Thats the vid I looked at! But I guess my computer is getting long in the tooth.It took about 30 seconds to do anything after each operation,it was just unusable.I managed to re pose in Carrara eventually, but got a bit of distortion.The new pose is on my blog! :)

Well, the pose tool can be rather slow on dense meshes. I asked Andrew about that before, but I'll mention it again. Would be great if CUDA was involved in deforming meshes with the MOVE and POSE tools. I don't think it is. Nevertheless, what you can do to bump the performance is to toggle into proxy mode (Cache to Disk) when using the tool. I've got a pretty beefy system and still have to do that much of the time.

Its a mystery,I don't pretend to know how any of this stuff works! The pose tool works just fine normally, It just turned to treacle when I checked the Update Retopo button. I wonder if it was because I also had some painted layers on it also.I did cache it as well, but that didnt seem to help.Anyway that was all last week know......its all starting to fade away from my brain. Im just about to start a new model, maybe I will use this simpler model to experiment.Ta for helping though