3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

Little question.

Did something get destroyed when i updating from 4.06 to 4.07?

The last update kills some of my and artmans preset brushes, did i run into the same problems again?

Should i backup something, too?

Some infos would be nice befor i install the new beta.

Little question.

The last update kills some of my and artmans preset brushes, did i run into the same problems again?

Hey man

Making backup of 3D Coat folder from user folder is good habit while using Beta ;)

ANOTHER PROBLEM :(

I can't get rid of "pixel stairs" from normalmap. I can't paint it out.

How to manage with it?

post-5437-0-93126200-1380038393_thumb.pn

Other problem is with diagonal lines while i'm painting normals in Paint Room. It looks like 3D Coat triangulate faces but then have problem with managing normals correctly. Smoothing is not helping. Only you can cover this lines with some detail to be not visible.

post-5437-0-14052500-1380047697_thumb.pn

I found that unwanted pixels on the borders only happens when i import Normalmap... I'm still trying to find way to get rid of it.

Edit:
Ok I've figured out how to fix texture in external software. I'll share it with you later because it's 5:25 AM, i need some sleep ;)

Edited by Creator

Little question.

The only changes are quadrangulation and some minor ptex issues. So I don't think problems related to update.

Was there bluescreen or hard reboot?

• Contributor

The only changes are quadrangulation and some minor ptex issues. So I don't think problems related to update.

Was there bluescreen or hard reboot?

Nothing in that way, only some of my and artmans brush presets are changed and/or creates some artefacts after the update from 4.04 to 4.06

I have recreated some of the brushes and the rest gots deleted.

Thanks for the reply, i will test the new version.

• Advanced Member

Creator,

The normals issues you're getting look like they're related to how one would triangulate the quads.  I realize you probably had nothing to do with that and the quads are still there, but artifacts like that tend to appear when the angle of a triangulation is in the wrong direction.  The input about the brushes makes more sense to me, in this case.

Edited by alvordr

Creator,

The normals issues you're getting look like they're related to how one would triangulate the quads.  I realize you probably had nothing to do with that and the quads are still there, but artifacts like that tend to appear when the angle of a triangulation is in the wrong direction.  The input about the brushes makes more sense to me, in this case.

So whats the plan ? :D How to get rid of it?

Ok i've exported normal map, imported it to new scene and smoothed diagonal lines with brush. That's only solution i found. Not cool ;)

Sometimes it helps to merge your model into the scene in "microverts" mode. Then you can export the created normal map as always.

Give it a try. Maybe it helps. Your UV set will be used for the microverts patch.

Experiment with the subdivion res for the carcass model. Maybe you don't need to set to a high value.

Best wishes

Chris

• Reputable Contributor

Updaed to 4.0.07B

Changes regarding quadrangulation:

- better support of guidelines. Don't make intersecting guides! Don't draw too many guides! Only important!

- better capturing of finger-like details

- overall quaity improvement

Thanks, Andrew. And thanks for the tip about intersecting guides.

• Contributor

Thank you very much for the update Andrew, but:

I have a lot of ideas for semi-automatic retopo (sketch based), will implement all this a bit later, probably on Raul's return (in September I hope).

Please let us draw positions of "poles" so that we can quickly create good edge flow. The poles are where many edges intersect, but they are important for making desired topology.

- better support of guidelines. Don't make intersecting guides! Don't draw too many guides! Only important! In symmetry case it is better to place all guides on one side.

And in addition - now quadrangulation exactly follows giudelines you drawn.

I would prefer to be able to draw many guides that are exactly followed by the autopo. Drawing less guides makes it hard to get desired results, makes the results more random, and gives us less control. Autopo should be a good combination of user control and automatic results.

Thank you again for all of your hard work on this difficult feature!

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you very much for the update Andrew, but:

Please let us draw positions of "poles" so that we can quickly create good edge flow. The poles are where many edges intersect, but they are important for making desired topology.

I would prefer to be able to draw many guides that are exactly followed by the autopo. Drawing less guides makes it hard to get desired results, makes the results more random, and gives us less control. Autopo should be a good combination of user control and automatic results.

Thank you again for all of your hard work on this difficult feature!

I agree about the Poles and having the ability to make Autopo work better with more guides, rather than fewer guides. Fewer guides in areas like a face, just don't seem to interpret the flow a user wants. For example, on a face, you typically have a circular pattern/loop around the mouth region, and another around the eyes. If I only place loops there, 3D Coat sort of ignores the concept of making the edges flow in a loop around those guides. So, I have to try and reinforce those areas with additional guides. But if 3D Coat gets confused with more guides, then I can't get the desired end result.

As for Poles, Maybe allow the placement of Points (derived from the Points and Faces tool), to direct 3D Coat where 3 or 5 star poles are to be placed? Guides would need to be drawn/placed very near the point, to designate the edgeflow. Perhaps a Hotkey (ALT key, perhaps?), to place a point, on the fly, while in the GUIDES/STROKES stage of the Wizard?

• Contributor

Great ideas AbnRanger! I hope Andrew can make something like that for us!

Here is an example of a manual retopo I did of one of my models for an animation project.

I used a lot of 5 pointed poles to guide the edge flow that I wanted:

TimmyZ_PolesOnCharacterFaceExample.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew..a question; if you did go with PIxar's open subD, wouldn't that solve a lot of problems with autopo working out the mesh problems with variable density across the surface of the object or would it be very difficult to make an autopo with OpenSubD for other reasons?

OpenSubdiv is a quad-based subdivision routine. Andrew would have to scrap everything he's worked on for the past 5 or so years to switch to a quad-based sculpting toolset. Might be nice at some point, in the Tweak Room, but there is so much on his plate already, I don't see how he's going to try to fit this into the toolset any time soon.

• Advanced Member

Actually, OpenSubDiv would be just what the doctor ordered I think...It might sound crazy, but if we could seamlessly switch layer types between voxel, surface and OpenSubD, in the voxel room, I think we'd be good to go.

Then we could bring in geo objects from other apps in a more non destructive way.

I mentioned this to Andrew before, I think it would be a big undertaking, but probably not as big as we think.  I think the key element is a good autoretopo function, which is what Andrew is working on currently anyways.

I would definitely be for it.  

I'm patient though, so I can wait.

• Advanced Member

I think a good idea would be to have a projection system .that way we can autopo a new base mesh , subdivide and project detail onto thr new clean mesh .would solve a few problems with faulty meshes /holes etc .the base mesh could slso be used as a cage to drform the high detail mesh

• Advanced Member

OpenSubdiv is a quad-based subdivision routine. Andrew would have to scrap everything he's worked on for the past 5 or so years to switch to a quad-based sculpting toolset. Might be nice at some point, in the Tweak Room, but there is so much on his plate already, I don't see how he's going to try to fit this into the toolset any time soon.

But isn't retopo already a quad based system? I'm thinking that a subd retopo system would remove a lot of the problems in variable surface topology density and edge loop flows..

• Reputable Contributor

But isn't retopo already a quad based system? I'm thinking that a subd retopo system would remove a lot of the problems in variable surface topology density and edge loop flows..

OpenSubdiv would not help much, if any, in the Retopo room, as you are simply trying to construct a base, low poly mesh. OpenSubdiv is downstream in the process. I would DEFINITELY like to see Andrew use OpenSubdiv in the Paint and Tweak Room. It would be nice then, to mirror the Surface mode brushes to the Tweak Room