3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

may be its possible to tune up autopo making auto Density not only work by painting but also BY ANGLE ^_^

mmm... a triger for high density area autopainted but based in angles

The chest example

Edges are not following the muscle direction

And the articulation need more density

adding some pic examples:

Left spectated, right result.

attachicon.giforiginal.jpg

attachicon.gifneed1.jpg attachicon.gifget1.jpg

attachicon.gifneed2.jpg attachicon.gifget2.jpg

• Advanced Member

After performing Autopo on the same object a few times 4-5, now, the last Autopo, 3DCoat has locked up and its been doing something (I don't know what), for over 1hr, so I don't think its coming back any time soon.

• Reputable Contributor

After performing Autopo on the same object a few times 4-5, now, the last Autopo, 3DCoat has locked up and its been doing something (I don't know what), for over 1hr, so I don't think its coming back any time soon.

I have a few of those too in the Linux version 4.0.09 64 bit non-cuda beta. Sometimes it hangs but this happens very seldom but yes it seems like after running the routine a few times it can happen. So a bug somewhere but will have to watch and see if I can reproduce it. I kill the 3DCoat process long before an hour passes though...  :blink:

Also I will get a Crash to the Desktop sometimes when I move one point on a strokes curve...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Don't seem to get the CTD with moving stroke points (yet), but the reason I left it for an hour is that I had other things to do. What I have noticed is that when adding curves, if you click on the mesh you may lay down a curve point without knowing it and they are hard to see, I did this a few times and had all kinds of problems until I saw the points later on and removed them.

• Contributor

attachicon.gifhorn.3b - 3D-COAT 4.0.09(CUDA)(DX64).jpg

attachicon.giffaces3304.jpg

Artman

Could you please try this settings ?

ty

//edit

no guides

no density map

NO DECIMATE

post-1195-0-10971300-1383224430_thumb.jp

this is what I get..... <_<

obviously you forgot to mention that you fiddled with scale and position to achieve such result. :)

Andrew could you please make it so that result is the same regardless of scale and position?? When working on multiple part characters objects need to stay where they are.

• Advanced Member

It might be an idea for someone to provide a scene with a box that has the correct size for autopo so a model fits within the size of the box and will autopo optimally... .until Andrew fixes the issue

Edited by manticor

• Reputable Contributor

Here is the horn with no scaling using some density painting and curves...  My goal was to get the tip to be completely filled to the top without scaling, the edge flow over the arrows I was not worried about.

When density does work it does the job... Not shown on the back of the horn is a orange enclosed circle.

1610 polygons.. I have enough polygons around the edges to tidy them up...

post-518-0-82749200-1383243651_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

It works but compare with carlosan retopo, it really matches the smaller details in his test.

That is true as he was using 4000 polygons setting and my setting was 1700...  I was as stated not going for edge flow or saying there was not a scaling problem... Just a test...

Please read and understand my intention which was clearly stated in the post... I rather not dance around in circles here...

Edit, I ran the routine again with no scaling, no curves but the density painting remaining... auto-density was set at 1.5 which cause too many polygons to run up the tip. I will run a few more test with less auto-density. Polygons set at 4000 but ended up with 5000 because of the 1.5 setting.

Edit2:

I ran a few more test with the painted density and no matter setting both the auto-density and the painted density to the same lower multiplier, the number of polygons running up the tip does not change... This again is where the density appears buggy by not recognizing your painted density setting.

post-518-0-30431500-1383244964_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

I'm getting crashes now with the x64 versions (DX or GL Cuda).  I found if I backed out of the latest Nvidia driver 331.65 to 327.23 it would fix the crashing problem.  Seems to be Cuda related with the latest driver.  

It is easy to repeat: start 3DC, select Voxels, and then the medium ball (though any selection would cause a crash --- not just the ball.)  I'm using 4.0.09, but trying the previous beta version or the non-beta also crashed.

I sent in the crash report but hesitate to report a bug on Mantis until I am clear if my computer meets the minimum system requirements (I haven't been able this information yet -- at least up-to-date.)  As you can see from my signature I'm using winXP x64.  I know... please lets not get into the whole updating your OS.  I'm on a fixed income and need some software that won't run on my copy of win8.  I'm contemplating getting win7, but MS makes it hard because if I upgrade from XP to 7, I have to go through a lot of hoops to go back to XP, which has programs necessary for my job.

• Advanced Member

I'm getting crashes now with the x64 versions (DX or GL Cuda).  I found if I backed out of the latest Nvidia driver 331.65 to 327.23 it would fix the crashing problem.  Seems to be Cuda related with the latest driver.  

It is easy to repeat: start 3DC, select Voxels, and then the medium ball (though any selection would cause a crash --- not just the ball.)  I'm using 4.0.09, but trying the previous beta version or the non-beta also crashed.

I sent in the crash report but hesitate to report a bug on Mantis until I am clear if my computer meets the minimum system requirements (I haven't been able this information yet -- at least up-to-date.)  As you can see from my signature I'm using winXP x64.  I know... please lets not get into the whole updating your OS.  I'm on a fixed income and need some software that won't run on my copy of win8.  I'm contemplating getting win7, but MS makes it hard because if I upgrade from XP to 7, I have to go through a lot of hoops to go back to XP, which has programs necessary for my job.

For what it's worth, I hesitantly made the jump to Win7 Pro 64-bit about a couple of years ago.  I was very skeptical and was fully prepared to jump back and forth to XP to run any programs that didn't work.  I haven't looked back.  I like Windows 7 for the stability and speed over XP (FAR faster).  I have encountered only a few programs that didn't want to run without going into compatibility mode, but that does seem to do the trick.  I hope this helps.  I didn't bother with the Ultimate version, as it didn't have anything useful for me.  This saved a good bit of money.  As for Win 8, I'll skip it for as long as I can.  Again, it has little to nothing to offer me.

Edited by alvordr

For what it's worth, I hesitantly made the jump to Win7 Pro 64-bit about a couple of years ago.  I was very skeptical and was fully prepared to jump back and forth to XP to run any programs that didn't work.  I haven't looked back.  I like Windows 7 for the stability and speed over XP (FAR faster).  I have encountered only a few programs that didn't want to run without going into compatibility mode, but that does seem to do the trick.  I hope this helps.  I didn't bother with the Ultimate version, as it didn't have anything useful for me.  This saved a good bit of money.  As for Win 8, I'll skip it for as long as I can.  Again, it has little to nothing to offer me.

Except for some very seriously improved performance over Win 7. I was hesitant to jump on Win 8, but, to quote you, I haven't looked back. ;)

Merge as skin->Outer thickness parameter doesn't seem to have any impact on the thickness.

---

Looks like it already was reported last year in July:

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=553

Andrew (administrator)

2013-11-12 09:02

fixed in 4.0.10

Except for some very seriously improved performance over Win 7. I was hesitant to jump on Win 8, but, to quote you, I haven't looked back. ;)

Win 8, in spite of Metro interface, is better, faster, stronger than win7. I really appreciate it.

Win 8, in spite of Metro interface, is better, faster, stronger than win7. I really appreciate it.

No, it's not. Everyone at my studio has windows 8 on our work PCs and its given us nothing but trouble. The number of problems we've had is nothing short of amazing. The Metro UI is garbage but it didn't bother me much after the first week.

• Contributor

I completely agree with PolyHertz, win8 is probably the worst system for 3d content production you can get with the exception of vista...

Lot of issues regarding sound, big photo libraries and the window imaging service, lot of incompatibilities in some areas with common 3d engines. etc

it's not all bad, but I strongly advise against it if you're using it on a workstation. 

To be honest I was convinced by this os, used it for more than a year, then went back to 7 with no regret. Lot of not so important changes and lot of issues.

On a simple object, yes it works, but when I try to split character model in a T-pose (~2.5 milion polys), it increase memory from 1 GB to 11GB (11 times !!). Then 3D Coat crash because of lack of RAM (i have 12GB here at home). I'll try at Monday on the machine at work, it has 32GB and we'll find out if it will end process or fail. But hey, 11Gigs from 1 is just unbelievable!!

• Advanced Member

Hey guys,

not sure if this is a bug or if I am doing something wrong. I am having problems with the curve tool.

I think in V4 it doesnt work at all. Whenever I hit apply it wont do anything. I have had that before in earlier versions, but sometimes only.

cheers

Everything is working fine. Version Win 4.0.09 OpenGL CUDA. It by using a memory with a character in a T-pose of not more than 5 GB with 5.5 million polygon. Config: i7 3930K 3.2 GHz(4.1), Kingston SSDNow KC300 240 Gb, Corsair XMS3 1600\32Gb,Gigabyte GV-N780OC

Edited by HunterWolf

Hey guys,

not sure if this is a bug or if I am doing something wrong. I am having problems with the curve tool.

I think in V4 it doesnt work at all. Whenever I hit apply it wont do anything. I have had that before in earlier versions, but sometimes only.

cheers

Works as expected on my side. Please show screenshot of whole screen - possibly something wrong with settings.